• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlyinFMJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have just purchased a new Remington 700 SPS in .308WIN and I have heard that there are specific ways to break in a barrel. Is this true? If so, what is the right method to do this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Clean the barrel often when it is new, as the bullets will wear down any machining marks left from the rifling process. That part of a break in process makes total sense to me. Besides that, I don't worry about an actual break in process. There are a ton of different opinions on the subject, so you really have to decide for yourself. As with alot of things in life, there isn't a right answer, just different opinions. You will notice that the barrel will get easier to clean as it is used more. When that levels off, it is broke in. If the maker recommends something specifically, then follow that.

As a general rule, I don't clean the barrels on my guns until the accuracy begins to fall off. I just give them a quick wipe down to remove excess fouling. A sparkly clean barrel will shoot differently than a fouled one, and after a good cleaning it takes a handful of shots for it to settle back down. Consistency in the amount of fouling in the barrel is part of the recipe for the gun to shoot consistently.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want to, first clean the barrel to make sure there isn't manufacturing debris in the bore. Other than that, barrel break in procedures are pretty much a fallacy (at least for most typical guns) and merely a tool for manufacturers to sell more barrels if you catch my drift. I have yet to really hear from anyone any real concrete scientific reason as to why you should break a barrel in. It's just one of those things that came about within the last few decades, no one knows why, everyone just does it because that's what "they say". ;) Shoot the gun, clean it ever so often, but don't waste your time cleaning it after every single shot like so many people do.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    I had read an interview with one of the top competition barrel makers, I forget his name and he has since passed on, that this whole barrel break in idea was actually created by one of his former employee's that had gone into business for himself.

Basically, like Sig says, it's to help sell more barrels and not something actually necessary.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Is this like a discussion on motorcycle engine break in? -shudder-

Lets see - rifle barrel....1 moving part (the bullet), made of very hard metal. I don't think its like your grandma's old cast iron skillet that you never use soap to clean and never ever let it near the dishwasher. I'm pretty sure like the folks already said: shoot it, when you are done shooting and get home run the patches through it and store it next to the other guns.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    so it is like a discussion on breaking in motorcycle engines. Giggity.

Shall I start a thread on which gun cleaning oil is best? I for one think Mobil1 sythetic is the way to go.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    so it is like a discussion on breaking in motorcycle engines. Giggity.

Shall I start a thread on which gun cleaning oil is best? I for one think Mobil1 sythetic is the way to go.

Look, PLEASE don't make Texas1911 unhappy...you won't LIKE him when he is unhappy...

You'll get lots of votes for Mobil1 actually...

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    :)

sooo tempting. I'm just about to 400 rounds through my M&P15. So far no issues. After reading "Keep It Running" I've changed my maintenance procedure. Before, after shooting I'd break the rifle down and scrub everything clean and spotless, put it back together and store it. Now I don't do that. I still tear everything down, but all I do is wipe it down, clean the carbon from the chamber and then lube it up and store it. Two days at the range this weekend using this process (roughly 300 rounds) and no jams at all. Just shooting bliss.

I'll restraing myself from starting a new oil thread because obviously everybody knows that rendered puppy fat is the best.

Top Bottom