• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaRedneck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was gonna post this in the rifle section but I wanted the reloading gurus to give me their take. I don't reload but I want to get into it but the problem I have is I don't even know where to begin. I am a ballistics noob and when people get down in the nitty gritty and technical stuff I got lost and can't wrap my head around what is being said.

Anyway, I am looking for a round that I can put in a couple mags that are for SHTF times. I would also like to maybe try and take a deer with my AR at some point. What do you guys in the know think of Black Hills (MK262 Mod 1) 77gr. (OTM) Sierra MatchKing BT Hollow Point Ammo?
    Venture Surplus ad

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    What are specs for your AR? Barrel length, twist rate, optics, ect. Bullet wt and twist rate can be crucial if you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets. SMK's are not a great choice for hunting, even with the HP, they do not and are not designed for hunting. I would stick with SP's for deer. Check your local regs as far as hunting with a 223 is concerned.
    As far as a SHTF situation, I'd rather have SP's in my mags.
    It would mostly depend on what my anticipated needs would be, choose your ammo for your most likely scenario.

tapatalk it works !

DaRedneck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it helps, it is a 16" barrel chrome lined with a 1:7 twist. Right now the optic is a knock off aimpoint red dot from Primary Arms in Pearland, TX. I'd put something else on it for deer. I didn't realize there may even be restrictions for deer with a .223.

Tommy1005

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Richmond, TX
    not in TX there's not.....as long as it's not a rimfire you can legally hunt deer with it in the state of Texas.....other states maybe, maybe not.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've killed a lot of hogs with 77 grain SMKs. I used to keep a few hundred hot loaded 77s on hand for whatever may come up, but lateley, I've switched to 70 grain Barnes TSX bullets and I'm slowly transitioning to those as they get better marks from an SBR.

For me, they aren't as accurate as my 69 grain precision loads, but they sure do hit hard and have taken anything I've shot them at.

Top Bottom