• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TXStetson,

You & your running buddies must be a lot younger than me, as all of my nativeborn TEXICAN friends at least KNOW what "42" is and MANY play it weekly.
    (I play every week at the Adult Recreation Center at LION'S FIELD in SATX. = We sometimes have as many as 8 tables going & 2-3 tables for MOON.)

yours, satx

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    TXStetson,

You & your running buddies must be a lot younger than me, as all of my nativeborn TEXICAN friends at least KNOW what "42" is and MANY play it weekly.
    (I play every week at the Adult Recreation Center at LION'S FIELD in SATX. = We sometimes have as many as 8 tables going & 2-3 tables for MOON.)

yours, satx
    I grew up playing with my family and friends, but the only time I ever get to play is when visiting home. To answer your question, I am 51 and most of my friends are younger than I am.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    How long did it take to roast that pig in the pic? About how much did that one weigh? 8-10 hours & the pigs were 90 pounds. The place hated selling them that size & they were priced more then a split of the same weight

Obviously, you were using direct heat and a rotisserie. I assume you're using a really low heat, but I have no idea how to control the temp on direct heat like that. Controlling the heat is a constant thing. You will notice piles of fresh lump charcoal have been added to places needing more heat. Getting the pig on the skewer evenly a trick, you don't want burnt loins & raw hams & shoulder. He had another spit like this one that had a top cover & sides. There were front & back sheets of metal to box it into an oven.
    Dang, I wish I knew more about this. I've been thinking about building a smokehouse. But your pic has me thinking maybe I just need to buy a large smoker with a rotisserie setup.
    He had bought 3 of these spits out of Pittsburg, Pa. one with the oven closure & rotisserie, another with rotisserie and one that was a basic grill. He needs to clean them up & sell them as they have not been used but for one season.

He also bought a small La Cajun China box. This was what I liked the best. I cooked briskets, pork butts, chicken, corned beef & pastramis in it & liked it because it was less work & had the best results. Aint nothing but a plywood box with a sheet metal liner. The lid of the box held your charcoal & was sheet metal as well.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    TXStetson,

yours, satx

Almost makes me wish I was back in SA

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

ANNOUNCING a weekly DOMINO GAME at the Adult Recreation Center at LIONS FIELD PARK on 2908 BROADWAY, San Antonio, 78209 from 1-4PM, each WEDNESDAY afternoon.

All of our members in the Alamo City area are invited to come & play any Wednesday.
    (I'm the host.)

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    To ALL,

ANNOUNCING a weekly DOMINO GAME at the Adult Recreation Center at LIONS FIELD PARK on 2908 BROADWAY, San Antonio, 78209 from 1-4PM, each WEDNESDAY afternoon.

All of our members in the Alamo City area are invited to come & play any Wednesday.
    (I'm the host.)

yours, satx

Wished I live close enough. Hard to find anyone to play 42 anymore.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    To ALL,

(I'm the host.)

yours, satx
    What’s the chances of you hosting a game closer to Abilene?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

SORRY that I wasn't clear. = The Weekly 42 game is 1000-1700 on THURSDAY.

My game is "regular dominos" on Wednesday 1300-1600 or later.
    (I also play in the weekly 42 group at LIONS FIELD PARK.)

SAME PLACE. = The 42 game is also OPEN to any adult.

yours, tex

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    He had bought 3 of these spits out of Pittsburg, Pa. one with the oven closure & rotisserie, another with rotisserie and one that was a basic grill. He needs to clean them up & sell them as they have not been used but for one season.

He also bought a small La Cajun China box. This was what I liked the best. I cooked briskets, pork butts, chicken, corned beef & pastramis in it & liked it because it was less work & had the best results. Aint nothing but a plywood box with a sheet metal liner. The lid of the box held your charcoal & was sheet metal as well.

Thanks for all the info. And THANKS for reminding me about the La Caja China Box. I had seen them before, but had forgotten about them.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The hunters around here ice down their hogs with salt in large coolers for up to 10 days before they process the meat. It's some of the best pork that I've ever eaten!

The point here is to not shoot them like rats and let them rot. That is damned good food!

Flash
    I like me some feral hog meat too; however, there are FAR more of them that need taken out than you can even imagine. Zap as many as you can, and be fussy about which ones become table fare.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I like me some feral hog meat too; however, there are FAR more of them that need taken out than you can even imagine. Zap as many as you can, and be fussy about which ones become table fare.

diesel1959,

TRUE. = Critters have to eat too.

BTW, I look forward to the possibility that, on some distant day, that free-ranging feral hogs in TX will be "an endangered species".

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom