Lynx Defense

Bill proposed to limit the use of SWAT teams.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Nope.
    I am lucky to be able to turn a computer on.

:green:

Anyone can swat but it’s stupid and an extremely serious matter. It’s as simple as calling PD and falsely reporting a violent crime in progress at a physical address. LE didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, you will get caught. Without a doubt.

Swatting and not getting caught isn’t easy. It requires a VoIP pbx, dial plan, IP/MAC spoofing and the use of obfuscating routing (onion/garlic routers-tor) to do it. For the sake of safety, propriety and common sense that’s all I’m willing to share about it.

The addresses are a matter of public record. You just need to know where to look.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I know how to "swat", that's simple not going to do it, so I can't get caught.

How does one get an online strangers physical address is the question.

ETA: And if the answer is in your post above I can't tell, lol.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Don’t stalk me bro.... :)

Seriously though, if they’re an online stranger, the assumption is you don’t know jack about them. If that’s the case, you’re kinda fkd. Or you could search for their user name online and see if they use it elsewhere and see where it leads. Most people are creatures of habit. And lazy.

Google advanced search parameters are your best friend. The downside is the need to understand Boolean logic and regex if you want to really peel apart that onion layer by layer. But it’s extremely useful, mind-blowingly so. And worthwhile to learn how to use. LE and PI’s use it.

Searching Google, if you get one hit on the user name on a different online community, you can search that site using Google outside the walls of the community and without registering which is almost always verboten by the site admins if they want to keep bots from easily scraping the site for specific data. Using this method, searching every site you get a hit will usually result in a rabbit trail.

You can also use the method to search sites that aren’t publicly accessible. If Google is used within a firewalled intranet or a paywalled site, you can bet your ass their private data was scraped and indexed and publicly accessible as a result. Again, you just have to know how and where to look.

An example:

ZX9RCAM site:texasguntalk.com

D546ACA8-7238-4F0F-B393-E45833D17BC9.jpeg

Attachments

• D546ACA8-7238-4F0F-B393-E45833D17BC9.jpeg
      D546ACA8-7238-4F0F-B393-E45833D17BC9.jpeg
      184.2 KB · Views: 251
    Last edited:

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    I don't know how they did it for those particular cases, but a little information goes a long way these days.

With an IP address you can get a rough geographic location from any of the free IP geolocation databases like GeoLite2, or much more accurate geo data from one of the many paid services. If you have a name to go along with it, you could hit the public GIS database for that city to get property ownership records for that name. That's the quickest method that pops to my mind using only publicly available services that I'm already familiar with. If successful it would maybe take 30 minutes or so if you have some software setup already.

In the old days it was fairly easy to social engineer telco workers and the like to get information like this, but fortunately these days most companies that deal in that kind of data have functional security protocols and training in place that have mostly shut down that approach (to my knowledge).

If you are willing to spend a little money on revenge there are more options available. IP and usage data is tracked at many points along the typical internet pathways, and there are very well funded companies with a lot of very clever people dedicated to figuring out algorithms for matching IP addresses and online activity to identities for the purposes of advertising, and I know that at least some of these companies are not picky about who they sell this data to. I've architected data processing systems for a few different companies that operate on the periphery of that industry and have at times been amazed at the data that's available for purchase.

Beyond that, if you screw around in the darknet and are willing to pay shady people for shady data I think it's very likely there are even better (stolen) data sources available. I don't mess with any of that so I have no particular knowledge apart from data leaks which have been publicly identified.

Mind you, every step along the way has a significant chance of failure, but you can follow a lot of paths trying to find one that gets to your destination. Plus there's survivorship bias at work - we only hear about the successful attempts.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don’t stalk me bro.... :)

Seriously though, if they’re an online stranger, the assumption is you don’t know jack about them. If that’s the case, you’re kinda fkd. Or you could search for their user name online and see if they use it elsewhere and see where it leads. Most people are creatures of habit. And lazy.

Google advanced search parameters are your best friend. The downside is the need to understand Boolean logic and regex if you want to really peel apart that onion layer by layer. But it’s extremely useful, mind-blowingly so. And worthwhile to learn how to use. LE and PI’s use it.

Searching Google, if you get one hit on the user name on a different online community, you can search that site using Google outside the walls of the community and without registering which is almost always verboten by the site admins if they want to keep bots from easily scraping the site for specific data. Using this method, searching every site you get a hit will usually result in a rabbit trail.

You can also use the method to search sites that aren’t publicly accessible. If Google is used within a firewalled intranet or a paywalled site, you can bet your ass their private data was scraped and indexed and publicly accessible as a result. Again, you just have to know how and where to look.

An example:

ZX9RCAM site:texasguntalk.com

What does one do with that?
    Can't most of that into be found by clicking on a persons screen name?

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    What does one do with that?
    Can't most of that into be found by clicking on a persons screen name?

If you get a hit in GIS (or some of the other data sources) then you have an address, which is what you are looking for if you want to SWAT someone.

Some forums show the IP addresses for logged in users, but I don't think this one does. Lots of online games show the IP addresses of the people you are playing against, which was used in at least one SWATing I heard of. But if you can get someone to click on a link then it's trivial to capture their IP address (unless they are technically advanced and using an anonymizing service or some such).

If you have a name, then there's a decent chance that and the IP is enough to find an address. If not, then using one of the paid services I mentioned you may be able to get personally identifying info from just the IP or page load from their browser.

Getting a name may or may not be difficult depending on who it is you want to SWAT and how you know them, or what other information you may have available to leverage.

cdb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Livingston, TX
    I'm a little surprised myself, but I was able to get an identity and employment info just from the public profile page on this site. For a few bucks on the credit card it would have given me address history going back several years as well.

I won't say how (for obvious reasons) but if anyone wants to know how to fix that on their profile feel free to private message.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I won't say how (for obvious reasons) but if anyone wants to know how to fix that on their profile feel free to private message.
    If you're describing a systemic problem present for all profiles, please PM me with details and I'll run it up the chain until it gets to someone who should be able to fix it.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    He told me my name and a place I used to work.

The info containing that data is embedded in the Google search links in the lower section of the screenshot I posted.

I'm a little surprised myself, but I was able to get an identity and employment info just from the public profile page on this site. For a few bucks on the credit card it would have given me address history going back several years as well.

cbd, you’re opening up a can of worms brother.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom