• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    That's downright neighborly of you! Problem is that I am 200 miles due north of you...long drive for a handful of free .22lr. No, honestly, I think you have answered my question about the SSS being the way to go. Problem is I currently don't have a .22 rifle so my back yard shooting has been between my .410 and the .22 pistol. I really like shooting with a handgun but there is no getting around the noise and reduced ammo performance. I guess I should bite the bullet and spring $250 for a decent rifle. That will bring up a whole new set of choices...

Oh, and about the SWAT team coming out if I am carrying my gun....in this hick town they think SWAT stands for Southern Womens Azalea Tour. The local Barney's are all about speed traps and not much more. I had to call them out once when my neighbor's cattle got out into my yard and the guy who responded was afraid to get out of his car!
    Well, my attempt at being neighborly was obviously lost on you. I'll keep my handful of .22 and bid you adieu.
    Venture Surplus ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I did some impromptu rangework with the SSS rounds today. From my Marlin lever-action, they were accurate to about 20 yards. After that, it was anyone's guess. The report was minimal. No crack. And they hit with authority.

From my NAA mini, I would say they penetrate the same as a standard, lead 30 grainer with less recoil.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    the 60 gr Aguilla are hard hitting and plenty accurate out of a pistol.

They do not stabalize and will tumble and go through a target sideways which is just fine if the target is something you want dead.

One of my 22 cans (Gemtech I think) mentioned, in the instructions, NOT to use them due to tumbling baffle strikes.

Out of a rifle they slam pretty hard.
    I bought a 1:9 twist barrel for my 10/22 several years ago specifically for that round. You could also use a 22lr bolt conversion in an AR and have similar twist rate.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I did some impromptu rangework with the SSS rounds today. From my Marlin lever-action, they were accurate to about 20 yards. After that, it was anyone's guess. The report was minimal. No crack. And they hit with authority.

From my NAA mini, I would say they penetrate the same as a standard, lead 30 grainer with less recoil.

That's pretty good to know. After all the comments here I am going to a local shop this coming week and see if I can pick up a Ruger American and then match it with the best ammo. Sounds like the SSS is a great round but with limitations. I will probably try a box of the CCI Suppressor and a few of the subsonic loads from other mfgs.

Top Bottom