• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Another example of baffling is at the Dallas Pistol Club. They use thick hanging conveyor belts to prevent a bullet from escaping. The Austin Rifle Club is working on baffling the longer ranges, one is complete. This is what is required for ranges as populations increase and gets closer to established ranges.
    DK Firearms

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have not shot the baffled range at ARC, but my understanding is the baffles are adjustable at the range during matches. I could be wrong so will welcome correction.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    This blows.....I got the itch to go out and shoot 1k literally right when they initially closed the long range area. Been checking on the site every few weeks to a month and now I see this. I guess this is just another reason to add to the list of why I'm moving to CO sometime in summer. At least I'll be able to go shooting long range on BLM land out there.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would need a lot more reason than that to move to CO.

Having been assigned there, I agree. We *thought* it would be the perfect place to retire after a military career completed in CO Springs.

We went there in 2013 with the intention to stay, built the dream home, did it all. Boy were we fooled, and our eyes were opened after our first year and the novelty of cocktails with the sun setting behind Pikes Peak wore off.

I love the terrain, the outdoors, the weather, and a lot of other things up there. It’s a great place to visit, slowly being ruined.

Living there was ruined a long time ago, primarily with accommodation of vagrancy and panhandling, compounded by the consequences of legalizing medical, then recreational marijuana.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I would need a lot more reason than that to move to CO.

I have tons more than that. I'm really big on rock climbing and Texas frankly sucks for that. I used to do alot of fly fishing in AZ and the fly fishing here is pretty terrible comparatively so I just haven't really done it much since moving back to TX. The traffic in Austin is freaking terrible now. The cost of living will probably be slightly cheaper and the rate at which it increases isn't as bad there. I also have wanted to get into snowboarding for most of my life. Also want to get into ice climbing. On that note I'll take cold winters anyday over hot summers. The scenery there is absolutely gorgeous and awe inspiring. Both Austin and the CO front range are filled with CA refugees so that won't change much but given that I'm a home inspector (and wanting to shift towards being a building superintendent) I have to live somewhere with a good real estate market. I know the gun laws are worse there but I'm willing to deal with that, they aren't CA or NY bad at least. Regardless I think TX will soon start going down the same path with the changing demographics turning the state blue. Watching Beto get so close to Cruz was a real wake up call on that.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Living there was ruined a long time ago, primarily with accommodation of vagrancy and panhandling, compounded by the consequences of legalizing medical, then recreational marijuana.

Well Austin is no different on the vagrancy (in fact from my visits to CO it seems like slightly less of an issue there). As far as pot, you had alot of potheads initially moving there because it was the first to legalize. As soon as it's legalized nationwide (which I guarantee is going to happen in the next decade) those people will slowly start to spread back out. Legalization isn't going to result in more potheads overall in the country, they are just currently more concentrated in the legal states (and many of them are likely moving to Canada now since they are more progressive anyway plus the whole orange man bad stuff).

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well Austin is no different on the vagrancy (in fact from my visits to CO it seems like slightly less of an issue there).

I was born and raised in Pflugerville and know the AUS problems well — my immediate family has been in Travis County continuously since 1973.

May CO be everything you hope it is.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I was born and raised in Pflugerville and know the AUS problems well — my immediate family has been in Travis County continuously since 1973.

May CO be everything you hope it is.
    Thanks, I know it's not going to be perfect out there but I do feel like I'm being called out there. Ideally I do want to get in a position eventually to live in a more rural area and maybe I'll be able to move to one of the more conservative mountainous states like Montana.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks, I know it's not going to be perfect out there but I do feel like I'm being called out there. Ideally I do want to get in a position eventually to live in a more rural area and maybe I'll be able to move to one of the more conservative mountainous states like Montana.

Feel free to PM if you have questions...we lived in COS from 13-16 and travelled often and widely across the state during and since.

As a visitor, there’s some things you just don’t get a real sense of unless you actually live there.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Heard a rumor that all ranges at BotW are now closed and that the facility will be closing completely in June. It was too late to call when I got the text. Anyone heard similar news?

<edit> Seems to be just the rifle range that is still closed.

Last edited:

LoneStarTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feel free to PM if you have questions...we lived in COS from 13-16 and travelled often and widely across the state during and since.

As a visitor, there’s some things you just don’t get a real sense of unless you actually live there.
    "move to one of the more conservative mountainous states like Montana."
    Good luck with that!
    Montana is now filling up with rich Lefty Demorats.

Top Bottom