• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Anybody have a favorite round they've used?

I figure that ill load two rounds of the best ammo, then load the rest of the mag with Feds. If by chance the hunting ammo doesn't work, Ill follow up and pepper his ass with the cheaper stuff.
    Lynx Defense

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just killed a hog 2 hours ago using Black Hills ammo loaded with Barnes triple shock TSX ammo. It isn't cheap but is premier . 223 ammo.

Click this link for MidwayUSA Black Hills Ammo 223 Remington 62 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullet

$69 for 50 cartridges.

c9b3353d4c623c871da3d548679a3711_zps73cdf032.jpg

Product Information

Black Hills produces factory new rifle ammunition equal to some of the best handloads. It is quickly becoming one of most popular manufacturers of ammunition. Used primarily by all branches of the United State military, this ammunition is also used by competitive shooters and hunters.

Loaded with Triple-Shocks, these revolutionary bullets from Barnes are made of 100% copper and contain no lead. When the bullet expands, four razor-sharp cutting petals are created, allowing the bullet to penetrate farther through tough bone and tissue. Triple-Shock bullets usually retain 100% of their original weight, making them a superb choice for hunting. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical InformationCaliber: 223 Remington
    Bullet Weight: 62 Grain
    Bullet Style: Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullet Hollow Point Lead-Free
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 3100 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 1323 ft. lbs.

Have fun
    RFA

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I load my own now. Got a good deal from a guy on Barnes TSX, he was switching to Nosler. I bought ten boxes of Barnes bullets at $20 a box.

I understand the desire to switch away from the Barnes. I have many examples of how a bullet should not behave when using them.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Glad to hear so! With ammo nonexistent right now that all I have plus some steel. Was hoping to be enough!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.
    Yep, it's all I ever bring hog hunting. So far great sucess, besides the little one I hit 2 or 3 times up close. I believe it
    just went right throug the pig. I didnt trail it, but did find a few drops.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I like using FMJ. Hogs have some damn thick bone and cartilage that is almost like natural body armor. Bullet will travel through them without shattering like most .223 HPs, but it tumbles on impact and causes plenty of damage.

Boar.jpg

Last edited:

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I have some Winchester Ranger 64gr JSP I thought I'd try. Thoughts on it on hogs?

I've killed plenty with soft point. Just harder to bring down the bigger ones with it unless you go for a head shot (which is what I recommend anyway)

My colt doesn't shoot Winchester ammo very well though (compared to other brands)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've killed plenty with soft point. Just harder to bring down the bigger ones with it unless you go for a head shot (which is what I recommend anyway)

My colt doesn't shoot Winchester ammo very well though (compared to other brands)

Thanks Drew, that helps on hogs. I need to get the rifle and ammo out for long range confirmation of performance. But as far as cycling at the indoor range the Winchester ran great. I didn't want this nice ammo (that was gifted by a generous buddy) to go to waste. I am running a 1/9 barrel so I'm up at the top half of it's expected range.

I do not worry about it's coyote capacity though :)

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    M855 and M80 ball is all I use. I only use FMJ ammo on pigs. Every single pig I shot using 168Gr Amax out of my AR10 has run off. All shots were inside 100 yards, and some got shot multiple times. It was frustrating as hell. My DRT ratio went up 100 percent when I started using FMJ ammo.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I've heard good things about Winchester Razorback, too. Specifically designed for hogs with .223 and .308 ammo. Looking to pick some up myself.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom