Texas SOT

Barrel burners. How to extend the barrel life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Since the long range game is more popular than ever, we're seeing some velocities and pressures that weren't "normal" a few decades ago.
    220 swift got a bad reputation real quick after introduction.
    Etc..........
    Theories abound nowadays as to what causes throat erosion. What helps prevent it.

Velocity is king. His reign is short lived.

What have you tried that helped?
    What have you tried that failed?

I'm not looking for arguments or snake oil.
    We're dealing with steel, copper, fire.
    I'm on the cusp of plopping down a decent chunk of cash for a rifle in 6CM.
    I'm willing to spend a bit more to stave off a barrel swap.

I'm all ears.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Cooler burning (heat potential) powders are your friend. My last 2 6 creeds are at 1500rds and 1800rds. Running the cooler powders extends barrel life a large bit. Also my 1500rd barrel has is 28" so my speed goal is achieved with less powder. It's also only ate 115gr dtac's which are a rebated boat tail design which several claim prolongs life. They are also tbn coated which reduces friction but doing so also requires more powder vs a naked bullet of the same design. Ultimately the main factors are bore diameter, powder charge amount and heat potential. If you have access to quickload you can get heat potential and there is a really good pdf calculator available from 6mmbr.com for barrel life.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Slow burning powders, stay below MAX velocity not needed for best accuracy usually, longer wait time between shots, keep barrel as cool as possible even if you happen to be anal with shooting fast just carry water to cool the barrel if needed.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shoot slower. More cooling time between shots helps.

This isn't really an option for competition shooters and they are where most of the burning horror stories come from.

They burn out a barrel in 1,200 rounds that will last most normal shooters 2,000 rounds or more. That is what I have read about the 6mm CM anyways. Some calibers are even worse.

I pretty much plan on shooting mine until it won't shoot anymore and then getting the chamber recut and doing it again.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My 1500rd 6 creed barrel has had all but maybe 200rds shot in prs matches. Those others were initial load dev and filers after cleaning every 250-300rds. The 1800rd barrel was similar in life but I switched powders a few times and bullets once.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've recently been doing a lot of reading on this subject. A couple things that seem to stand out for me is that you'll get longer life out of a good chrome moly barrel rather than stainless steel and to let the barrel cool between groups. Also a thicker barrel helps.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Just get one. Unless you shoot like a bird eats seeds you’ll never shoot out a barrel. And when people speak of such they are talking ever slight minute of angle. Barrels can be expendable it’s part of life.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    High heat changes the grain structure of the metal and can cause carbide precipitation, making it more susceptible to damage. Unlike annealing (stress relieving) where it stabilizes the carbon grains within the metal grains, making it stronger. Since drilling, rifling and honing also involves heat, a good barrel should be annealed after that process.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just get one. Unless you shoot like a bird eats seeds you’ll never shoot out a barrel. And when people speak of such they are talking ever slight minute of angle. Barrels can be expendable it’s part of life.
    I have done it. ;) on a Ruger 10/22 no less.
    EBC66766-19B7-4FE3-A5D9-35BDA6FACFBD.jpeg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Given the time frame and amount of rounds that went through that barrel I believe it earned its keep.

That being said you should give Ruger a negative review based on the premature failure of that barrel. That's how it works right?
    BWAHAHAHAHA!

Top Bottom