Lynx Defense

Ariana Grande breaking the Beatles historical records? No!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    OK, first, I've always wondered what music being made today will be known to my great grandkids 50 years from now.

To the point... I saw Paul McCartney at ACL Fest 4 months ago. Both weekends! Once with my daughter. Once with one of my sons and my wife.

"Hey Jude" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Yesterday" and "Let It Be" left us all spellbound.

My kids, 27 to 34, deeply appreciate that phenomenal music from a half century ago. Two decades before they were born.

My rant?
    I'm listening tonight to Ariana Grande on Spotify.
    She's a talented and well promoted cute 25 year-old.
    To my ear her hits are painfully over processed.
    I'm trying to appreciate her talent and greatness.......

She is meeting and surpassing the Beatles historical all-time records for top place on the popularity charts.

I'm wondering if my grandkids and great grandkids will know her songs in 50 years like my kids know Blackbird or Hey Jude or Yesterday or Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.

Time will tell.

HKS
    She is an anti-American self righteous little bitch.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    OK, first, I've always wondered what music being made today will be known to my great grandkids 50 years from now.

To the point... I saw Paul McCartney at ACL Fest 4 months ago. Both weekends! Once with my daughter. Once with one of my sons and my wife.

"Hey Jude" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Yesterday" and "Let It Be" left us all spellbound.

My kids, 27 to 34, deeply appreciate that phenomenal music from a half century ago. Two decades before they were born.

My rant?
    I'm listening tonight to Ariana Grande on Spotify.
    She's a talented and well promoted cute 25 year-old.
    To my ear her hits are painfully over processed.
    I'm trying to appreciate her talent and greatness.......

She is meeting and surpassing the Beatles historical all-time records for top place on the popularity charts.

I'm wondering if my grandkids and great grandkids will know her songs in 50 years like my kids know Blackbird or Hey Jude or Yesterday or Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.

Time will tell.

HKS
    Her records use computers and software to engineer the music. The question is what does she really sound like without any technology enhancments?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She is an anti-American self righteous little bitch.
    Yes, that seems to be true. However,
    Her records use computers and software to engineer the music. The question is what does she really sound like without any technology enhancments?
    ...is the real question.

Most reports hold that the woman can sing wonderfully. So why the digital crap? A few years ago, Forbes magazine did a lengthy breakdown of why a good vocalist would use autotune and other trickery. Essentially, it boiled down to a fairly heartbreaking conclusion - that the use of autotune was just part of today's musical aesthetic. She'd sound too perfect, too lacking in street cred, if they just put perfect vocals in the final product. Her producers screw up her sound so she'll sound more like a human instead some sort of perfect pitch generator.

Now, when the Japanese introduce imperfections to a piece of pottery to make it more interesting, I sorta see the utility of that approach. But applying crap to vocals to make them seem more real to the masses is, to me, sacrilege.

I don't think everything here is completely unprocessed, but there are enough clear snippets to show that, yes, she can sing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yes, that seems to be true. However,

...is the real question.

Most reports hold that the woman can sing wonderfully. So why the digital crap? A few years ago, Forbes magazine did a lengthy breakdown of why a good vocalist would use autotune and other trickery. Essentially, it boiled down to a fairly heartbreaking conclusion - that the use of autotune was just part of today's musical aesthetic. She'd sound too perfect, too lacking in street cred, if they just put perfect vocals in the final product. Her producers screw up her sound so she'll sound more like a human instead some sort of perfect pitch generator.

Now, when the Japanese introduce imperfections to a piece of pottery to make it more interesting, I sorta see the utility of that approach. But applying crap to vocals to make them seem more real to the masses is, to me, sacrilege.

I don't think everything here is completely unprocessed, but there are enough clear snippets to show that, yes, she can sing.

I remember a few years back when my wife was watching some awards show it think, and the woman that made her name by acting like a freak and wearing meat suits and such (I know her name but detest saying it) sang The Sound Of Music.

It was beautiful. All I could think of was how much she had squandered her talent. I guess she got rich though, so what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    95.3 THe Range here in DFW is pretty much all Red Dirt, along with a bunch of classic country. Its where I got turned on to Robert Earl Keen, Max Stalling, Eleven Hundred Springs, Casy Donahue, and a ton of others.

Was that a typo for The Ranch, or has the station changed names.

It rarely reaches my area so I only listen occasionally when I travel north.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It was beautiful. All I could think of was how much she had squandered her talent.
    I prefer to think that she has simply grown past those times. The meat suits and craziness were a way to fame. If you see old video of her performing in piano bars in NY, long before she adopted the new name and started dressing insanely, it was obvious she was a great talent. The voice was already there. Her ability with the piano was solid.

Then she made herself famous by doing silly, outrageous shit for a few years.

Now, over the last 5 years, she's taken off the stupid clothes, made an album with Tony Bennett, and re-made A Star Is Born. Even people who detested her when her little monsters were a force of nature must now acknowledge her talent.

I quite happily salute Miss Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta for the transcendent musician she has become.

Besides - She's only 32 years old! At that age, she can't truly be said to have squandered anything. She still has decades to become whatever she chooses.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember a few years back when my wife was watching some awards show it think, and the woman ... sang The Sound Of Music.

It was beautiful.
    And that was surprising. I understand. Every generation seems to have those moments when people realize that under the insanity, there's an actual human being with great talent.

My dad had no idea of the existence of Ziggy Stardust or Spiders From Mars or even just plain old David Bowie. He had zero exposure before he saw this:

BTW - Those two performers paths hadn't really crossed before that taping. From Wikipedia:
    Bowie... later admitted to having only appeared on the show because "I just knew my mother liked him". Buz Kohan was not sure that Crosby knew who Bowie was, ...

... they reportedly performed after less than an hour of rehearsal.

A few days after the taping, Crosby said of Bowie, "clean-cut kid and a real fine asset to the show. He sings well, has a great voice and reads lines well."

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Was that a typo for The Ranch, or has the station changed names.

It rarely reaches my area so I only listen occasionally when I travel north.

Range is on Dallas side of DFW, Ranch is on the FW side of DFW. Similar station.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I prefer to think that she has simply grown past those times. The meat suits and craziness were a way to fame. If you see old video of her performing in piano bars in NY, long before she adopted the new name and started dressing insanely, it was obvious she was a great talent. The voice was already there. Her ability with the piano was solid.

Then she made herself famous by doing silly, outrageous shit for a few years.

Now, over the last 5 years, she's taken off the stupid clothes, made an album with Tony Bennett, and re-made A Star Is Born. Even people who detested her when her little monsters were a force of nature must now acknowledge her talent.

I quite happily salute Miss Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta for the transcendent musician she has become.

Besides - She's only 32 years old! At that age, she can't truly be said to have squandered anything. She still has decades to become whatever she chooses.

I had no idea what happened with her. Just knew she wasn’t in the news much anymore.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Range is on Dallas side of DFW, Ranch is on the FW side of DFW. Similar station.

Don’t get that one either. Flipped over and heard “I touch you once. I touch you twice”.

Usually stick with Hank FM to avoid most of the modern mainstream stuff or use Amazon music.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think Ranch is 95.7, and I know the Range is 95.3. Wish i could get Hank FM, I catch it driving South when I get around Hillsboro.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think Ranch is 95.7, and I know the Range is 95.3. Wish i could get Hank FM, I catch it driving South when I get around Hillsboro.

Yep, that’s my territory.

Top Bottom