Guns International

Ariana Grande breaking the Beatles historical records? No!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK, first, I've always wondered what music being made today will be known to my great grandkids 50 years from now.

To the point... I saw Paul McCartney at ACL Fest 4 months ago. Both weekends! Once with my daughter. Once with one of my sons and my wife.

"Hey Jude" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Yesterday" and "Let It Be" left us all spellbound.

My kids, 27 to 34, deeply appreciate that phenomenal music from a half century ago. Two decades before they were born.

My rant?
    I'm listening tonight to Ariana Grande on Spotify.
    She's a talented and well promoted cute 25 year-old.
    To my ear her hits are painfully over processed.
    I'm trying to appreciate her talent and greatness.......

She is meeting and surpassing the Beatles historical all-time records for top place on the popularity charts.

I'm wondering if my grandkids and great grandkids will know her songs in 50 years like my kids know Blackbird or Hey Jude or Yesterday or Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.

Time will tell.

HKS
    DK Firearms

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Don't worry about it. Neither is my go-to and have never listed to Grande, but music is music and the timeless ones always survive. But times change....mainly population and availability during the heyday of the entertainer. Selling untold million "records" is much easier to achieve today than it was 50 years ago.

Record sales don't mean much to me. It's like whining because Favre or Romo surpassed all the passing records of Starr, Staubach and Aikman. Does it mean they are better QBs? Not necessarily. But the game has changed a lot in the last few decades making statistics easier to come by for even average QBs versus the great ones from decades ago.

Hell, I'm just glad mine appreciate Red Dirt country like I do and don't pay any attention to album charts.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    OK, first, I've always wondered what music being made today will be known to my great grandkids 50 years from now.

To the point... I saw Paul McCartney at ACL Fest 4 months ago. Both weekends! Once with my daughter. Once with one of my sons and my wife.

"Hey Jude" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Yesterday" and "Let It Be" left us all spellbound.

My kids, 27 to 34, deeply appreciate that phenomenal music from a half century ago. Two decades before they were born.

My rant?
    I'm listening tonight to Ariana Grande on Spotify.
    She's a talented and well promoted cute 25 year-old.
    To my ear her hits are painfully over processed.
    I'm trying to appreciate her talent and greatness.......

She is meeting and surpassing the Beatles historical all-time records for top place on the popularity charts.

I'm wondering if my grandkids and great grandkids will know her songs in 50 years like my kids know Blackbird or Hey Jude or Yesterday or Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles.

Time will tell.

HKS
    Can't say I have ever listen to the Grande chick, but yeah she's doable. You talk about over processed music, hell my favorite band was Pink Floyd. If you enjoy their music watch the link.

Hell I'm listening to it now. Talk about over processed!

I'm surprised by the amount of Dark Side of the Moon t-shirts I still see today & on kids who were my age when it ate out, & younger. The Dark Side of the Moon became one of the best selling albums of all time and is in the top 25 of a list of best selling albums in the United States.

Looking back on so much of what I listened to today I see mostly a bunch of liberals & commies. How times change! Then again I won't be throwing away my Benchmade knives & I still own my Team Wendy Helmet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You're going to need that Nomex, I fear, but before I fire up the flamethrower I owe it to you to ask the obvious question.

Why?

I would say they politics of one or more members of the group could adversely effect ones opinion overall.

That’s my reasoning. Although I did let my daughter listen to “Imagine” and pointed out how incredibly messed up the song is.

Other than that, when I was in jr high there was a resurgence in Beetles music. I listened to them then, now I really don’t enjoy any of their music regardless of other opinions on their politics. It’s just not that good. They were the “Ariana grande” of their day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I would say they politics of one or more members of the group could adversely effect ones opinion overall.

That’s my reasoning. Although I did let my daughter listen to “Imagine” and pointed out how incredibly messed up the song is.

Other than that, when I was in jr high there was a resurgence in Beetles music. I listened to them then, now I really don’t enjoy any of their music regardless of other opinions on their politics. It’s just not that good. They were the “Ariana grande” of their day.

That^^

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Who is Ariana Grande and why should I care?

WT Foxtrot nailed it when he said the sales records are all about the increase in population of that demographic as compared to 50 years ago; ergo, a whole lot more buyers.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I wonder how record sales are even tracked now. No one buys CDs anymore, and I have to wonder how much is downloaded. Pandora, spotify other music services are free or subscription.

Over a decade ago I burned all of my CDs as mp3s. Then for a while I purchased music on iTunes, but for at least 5 years I have just streamed it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wonder how record sales are even tracked now. No one buys CDs anymore, and I have to wonder how much is downloaded. Pandora, spotify other music services are free or subscription.

Over a decade ago I burned all of my CDs as mp3s. Then for a while I purchased music on iTunes, but for at least 5 years I have just streamed it.

Damn, I got stuck for a few seconds wondering why you threw all your CDs in a fire.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I ripped all my CDs. Onto the PC that is. Bought some tunes from Walmart back when they were selling online downloads. They won't play anymore tho.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ha! That's the same thing most parents were saying in the 60's. Didn't stop anyone as far as I know.

I'm not going to try and stop them from listening it if they want. I'm just not going out of my way to introduce them to it. There's so many bands out there that are actually good I'd rather them hear first.

This is the crux of it. Politics is a distant second. I do find "Imagine" to be categorically awful and I'm tired of it being held up as some sort of wonderful example.

I grew up hearing their music quite a bit. I just never cared for it and now, looking through a historical lens, I think they are massively overrated. And I somewhat enjoy that's not necessarily a popular opinion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’d rather listen to ZZ Top, AC/DC, any number of Red Dirt country artists,or some ‘70s rock.

Hell, don’t even mi d a little Motown in the mix. Temptations, Drifters, Four Tops are good too.

But I’ll pass on the Beatles, whatever it is miss Grande sings, and most everything else.

Top Bottom