Guns International

Are 'skimmer scanner' Apps legit or just more data mining?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I heard of them for them for the 1st time tonight. I use VERY few Apps since I learned even the flashlight ones have nefarious intentions. Unless I'm out roaming Texas, it's pretty predictable where I make most of my purchases. I often wonder about skimmers where I buy 90% of my gas but I've never had a problem.

Y'all provide the links, I'm the uneducated one.
    Hurley's Gold

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I would say if you are worried about it that much you should pay cash inside the store.

You are more likely to have your card skimmed by an employee than a device in a gas pump.

Think about who you hand your cc to and loose sight of it. Its just another OMG scare tactic to get ratings.

So what if it gets skimmed you call the card company and report it and all fraud is removed.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I've taken to using my credit card to be safe.
    I've heard/read that the skimmers are equipped with bluetooth so the criminals can download your information without having to dis-assemble stuff. The information went on to suggest enabling bluetooth on your phone when you pull up to the pump. If it registers a weird alphanumeric address, keep driving.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've taken to using my credit card to be safe.
    I've heard/read that the skimmers are equipped with bluetooth so the criminals can download your information without having to dis-assemble stuff. The information went on to suggest enabling bluetooth on your phone when you pull up to the pump. If it registers a weird alphanumeric address, keep driving.
    Pretty much what I've heard.

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I usually get gas at either Murphy USA or Walmart. I go inside and put $$ on a Walmart gift card in one of the self-checkout lanes and then use that to pay for gas. If it does get skimmed, I'm only out whatever is on the gift card plus they usually give a 3 cent per gallon discount too.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    With all the Bluetooth items out there good luck finding a station that does not have a "strange" signal

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I would say if you are worried about it that much you should pay cash inside the store.

You are more likely to have your card skimmed by an employee than a device in a gas pump.

Think about who you hand your cc to and loose sight of it. Its just another OMG scare tactic to get ratings.

So what if it gets skimmed you call the card company and report it and all fraud is removed.

This hasn't been my experience. Bluetooth skimmers installed on gas pumps are very common. Best bet is to go inside the store and pay or use a credit card instead of a debit and pay at the pump.

These are stolen store gift cards. Crooks will buy or use skimmers to gather the CC data and burn that data onto the magnetic strip of a gift card. You will see zip codes written on the backs of these cards because the crooks were using them to steal diesel fuel. These guys had about 400 gallons of stolen diesel on board when we caught them.

499d5995ee2a1ac0a917e4d2afea7e73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    c95b8b699aab5d854f49fc4d072bdedd.jpg

Attachments

• 499d5995ee2a1ac0a917e4d2afea7e73.jpg
      499d5995ee2a1ac0a917e4d2afea7e73.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 447
    • c95b8b699aab5d854f49fc4d072bdedd.jpg
      c95b8b699aab5d854f49fc4d072bdedd.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 458

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I usually get gas at either Murphy USA or Walmart. I go inside and put $$ on a Walmart gift card in one of the self-checkout lanes and then use that to pay for gas. If it does get skimmed, I'm only out whatever is on the gift card plus they usually give a 3 cent per gallon discount too.

You must be retired and have plenty of time in the day. I can’t imagine going through that process every time I had to fill up.

The best defense is a great offense. Choose your banking institution wisely—I can highly recommend USAA banking and their fraud protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    You must be retired and have plenty of time in the day. I can’t imagine going through that process every time I had to fill up.

The best defense is a great offense. Choose your banking institution wisely—I can highly recommend USAA banking and their fraud protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, nope... I don't go inside EVERY time I need gas; I put enough on the gift card for a couple fill-ups.
    And with a couple 'tweens eating us out of house and home, I'm over at the neighborhood walmart often enough grabbing necessities that I just do it whenever I'm there and it is convenient.

Top Bottom