• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I’ve been wanting to get an AR built for me using parts that are better than a pre assembled AR. I’m not looking for top of the line as budget is a factor but not super cheap. Doing some research, I see so many options and prices. So my question, what are some recommendations from this group?
    I like an Aero Precision lower but I’ve also seen some reasonably priced Noveske lowers.
    Barrels?
    Hand guards?
    Upper?
    Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Pictures will be posted when completed.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ground Zero Precision/Phillip is a site sponsor. He sells Aero Precision blanks. You could also purchase the blank lower and an assembled upper from him by choosing your barrel, bcg, handguard, etc.

I’ve purchased from him on more than one occasion and always am happy. Make sure to tell him you’re from TGT.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Here is my opinion:
    - Lower (RF85 Anderson Lower - for desert conditions)
    - Barrel (Odin Works .223 Wylde Barrel in 1:9 twist)
    - Handguard (B5 Systems lightweight)
    - Upper (RF85 Anderson Upper - again, for desert conditions)

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I found great deals through Aero, so most my 300 BLK has Aero Precision parts (I really like their Atlas-S). I also had Aero set the gas block on the barrel. I used Ground Zero (DeadBolt, Nickel Boron) bolt group, Rise Armament drop in trigger (454), Odin Works minimalist buttstock, buffer and their Atlas-7 compensator.

I initially meant to build it for under $800, but ended up spending about $1300. It's pretty easy to go crazy. I spent a lot of time doing research online trying to figure out what works best without breaking the bank. I'm not saying to build yours like mine, just that there is a lot out there and a lot of information that can help.

(Oh yeah, make sure you have the proper tools, makes it a lot less frustrating.)

Last edited:

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    Hey Bud, with just a few tools you can build your own complete upper and lower. It's pretty easy. Plus once you build one, you will build others so best to get the tools.

In my opinion, the most important parts on an AR are the barrel, bcg and trigger. Everything else is just cosmetics. What is going to be the main purpose of this rifle? Shtf, range fun, accurate varmint or all around general purpose rifle. For an accurate build there are good barrels that cost a lot. For shtf, Bravo Company makes excellent barrels. For all around rifle I like AR15Performance. Their barrels are good quality 5150cmv barrels with 5r and 3r rifling. They are pretty accurate too. As far as upper and lower receivers, getting PSA will save you some money and they are still good quality. Most of my builds have PSA and I have never had any issues over the years. I also have spikes, aero and a few others just because I liked the roll mark on them. As far as bcg, Bravo Company has excellent ones. I like Midwest Industries handguards. They are really slim and light. I have them on most of my builds and have had them for many years without issue. As for grips, I like Magpul MOE K2 grips. They are more vertical than most grips and they feel more comfortable to me. With triggers, there are so many options and you can spend a lot of money. You need to decide if you want single stage, double stage, straight trigger or curved. There are so many options but I am trying to keep this short and not write a novel.

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    20181128_152847.jpg

Here are a couple of my builds. The upper one has a spikes lower, Fn barrel 4150 cmv cold hammer forged and chrome lined. Bravo Company BCG. A Midwest industries handguard and Magpul CTR stock. I topped it off with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4.
    The bottom rifle has a Aero lower. It's the no pew, pew, pew pew pew markings for safe and fire. It's a 6.8 AR15Performance barrel. PSA premium BCG. It also has a Midwest handguard same stock and topped with a Vortex Viper 2-7 scope.
    Not counting the scopes, I have around $800 invested in each.

Last edited:

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I had bought a Stag lower from a LGS with the intent of doing a build over time as I gathered the necessary parts. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get a mix-match of different brand parts or stick with all Stag parts. In the end I stuck with all Stag parts, with the exception of a Bravo Company lower parts kit that came with their “enhanced” trigger. I guess it all worked out because I later used and somewhat abused it in a 10K Run n Gun Biathlon last month where it performed flawlessly, despite getting literally full of mud, wet, accidentally scraped and banged up on tree trunks, limbs, fencing and dragged along two corrugated steel culverts. It never once jammed or malfunctioned under those conditions and still allowed me to make two 500-yard gong hits at the distance stage while prone on a wet, muddy platform.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    All lowers can be built with common tools though a little more patience and finesse may be required. Get an Aero Precision M4E upper and lower and it’s even easier. Having said that, if you do, you’ll never want to build most other sets after that. That set makes it too easy and it looks phenomenal. I thought about swapping out all my ARs for the M4E sets but can’t justify the money and time. Seriously though, it’s the easiest to assemble and they look great.

Barrels are a different story. How much precision do you want/need? Most will do well enough, others will allow half inch MOA but cost money to do so.

Handguards are an absolute personal preference. Try lots out and see what works for you. I have several I’d recommend but use is an important thing to know.

Trigger. You didn’t mention it but it makes the rifle. There are nice mil-spec triggers like the ALG ACT all the way up to Geissele and Hiperfire. Prices go from $50 to $300. Again, we can recommend many depending on what you want, what your intended purpose is and how much you want to spend.

Also, as a personal recommendation, I prefer the B5 Systems pistol grips. I really like a more vertical grip than the A2, Magpul, BCM or others.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doing some research, I see so many options and prices. So my question, what are some recommendations from this group?

Good question and well answered by many here plus what BigGreen said.

First of all, dont be intimidated. My son and I built our first one while we were slightly inebriated. Its not a big deal.

Second is tools. Yes, there are crafty ways around doing some things but you really need a few specialty tools to make your life simple. Punch, proper hammer, if the upper is unassembled then vise, vise block set (upper/lower), a torque wrench, and a good armorers wrench.

The only thing I have to add is a play on quality/price/abilities and to me these three go together. To me a group of parts doesnt matter although that comes down to ability to clean, polish, assemble, and that requires a degree of technical ability along with proper tools. If you dont have this (IE:a shop in the garage type guy) then its smarter to lean towards the mid range to higher end stuff in order to get a better quality in the finish and performance characteristics. To what degree is your call (price).

First of all.....names cost money. All these parts are (basically) the same with varying degrees of finish quality. If you want it to say "Noveske" when your finished, it wont shoot better but it will cost you to see that. I have built many and I will readily admit that at this point I would like to see one that I finished say "Noveske" myself.

As BigGreen said, barrels can have some differences. While basically all the same, the degree of machining and finish can create a more superior product. While the difference in performance probably cannot be discerned by 99% of us shooters (me included) there are some top notch shooters that will be able to utilize the effectiveness of a top grade match type barrel. OR you just may want that name (like the name Noveske)....once again, I admit Im in this group and one of my builds has a Colt Match Grade barrel on it.

All other parts in between are the same. Stocks, handguards etc. All personal preference.

SOME parts are tuneable to your liking, titanium for BCG's, tunable buffers, tuneable gas blocks. But ALL of it works in kits etc purchased nowdays if not absolutely perfectly.

Then at the other end of the spectrum (as BigGreen said) triggers.

To me this is one of the biggest differences in an AR. Off the shelf stuff ranges from super duper match grade all the way to terrible. Most of the stuff that comes in kits is in the "fair to terrible" range from what I have seen. Palmetto seems to use a decent trigger group but I was tempted by their "Stainless trigger group" one day and bought one on the cheap. It was awful. This is where abilities seriously come into play. The trigger actually had machining marks left on it. After a lot of stone work and a final polishing with a set of JP springs, its a great trigger. But it took some work to get it there. By stepping up in name and price you will receive (normally) a quality piece that has had this work already done in some way.

Thats about it. Mags....Magpul. so to summarize...buy stuff according to your need/want/building abilities. If you lack in building ability then go with higher end stuff. If you have the abilities then lower end stuff will get you where you want to be. Its important to be honest and determine if you want a
    range toy/safe queen/three-gun/3-4-500yd hog shooter because the requirements differ quite a bit (IE: cash outlay)

FINAL MUST READ NOTE......Be sure to familiarize yourself with the "SBR vs Pistol" ATF rules. It is VERY easy in today's market to accidentally launch yourself into felony territory without even knowing it.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Anyone use a ar57 (5.7 uses ps90 mags/dumps Cases out the magwell) upper? Thinking of trying one.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I used Aero for my first lower build. I've used Spikes on a couple specialty lowers. But the OSA lowers are fine. And their parts kits are too, though I always polish the triggers. My last lower build cost $150.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I got three lowers I will be building. I’ll include links to what I buy Incase it stirs up some ideas for your guys builds.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom