APOD Firearms

Anybody else interested in creating a "banned" area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We usually have to delete the posts that caused the ban, which is why it sometimes looks like somebody got disappeared for no reason.

But yeah, sometimes people think they can make threats or do something dumb via PM and it won’t count.

As far as the thunderdome goes, it seems like we have enough fighting and arguing on TGT as is. I’d prefer not to build an arena for it. Rather get everyone to discuss things like adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I totally understand where you're coming from, and I can't speak to TGT but on every single forum I've moderated/admin'ed over the decades there IS at the very least a consensus. Often it's after the fact - staff need the ability to act quickly and on merit. But in nearly every case the rest of the staff are made aware, and (very) occasionally a secondary decision may even be made to alter or reverse the initial decision. Most of time? It's obvious, and everyone agrees and moves on. Bringing the general population into the mix would likely add trouble though. On one forum we did have a large number (~80) mods though, and they were often the go-to when community questions surrounding a ban arose.
    I see a jury system as more of a force multiplier for moderators than a replacement. I don't think TGT is big enough to see value in such a system, tho. We only really have like what, 100 active members?

With 80+ mods you would need super moderators just to moderate them :laughing:

Nearly anything you're willing to develop is possible to develop
    If I were to develop anything it would be disruptive to existing forum software. I'm thinking decentralizing and distributed hosting using a blockchain. New profit models need to be developed, as well. The current ones probably won't last much longer anyways.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I was hoping for an actual Thunderdome.
    source.gif

Attachments

• source.gif
      source.gif
      784.9 KB · Views: 446

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Instead of deleting the post, could you edit it stating the violation? Like "No threats of any kind allowed."
    Are the reasons for a deletion not visible to everyone? Take a look back at all the deletions I did this morning in the Funny Pictures thread. Doesn't "Reason: Politics or reply to political post." appear in the slot for each deleted post? One of the bad things about being an admin is that I don't see the exact thing that most users see so I'm not 100% sure.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's a configurable setting, by default it's set to allow members of the pre-defined moderators and admins groups to see the reason in the little 'ribbon.' Members see nothing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's a configurable setting, by default it's set to allow members of the pre-defined moderators and admins groups to see the reason in the little 'ribbon.' Members see nothing.

I believe there is the option to notify the poster that their post was deleted but it must be checked at the time.

I do most of my stuff on TaT so could be wrong. The options are limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    Over on the forum I run, which is also owned by Congregate Media (owners of this forum), we have an infraction system setup where a canned message is sent to a user whenever their post/thread is deleted. Three infractions = an automatic three-day ban. Every infraction auto-generates a thread in our moderator area for discussion and record keeping.

There is also the option to issue warnings that don't count towards their three strikes.

As for a thread where banned users are listed...I think it's a bad idea that would just yield problems. Especially if someone was banned for a short period of time for them to chill out. As for those who deserve permanent bans - most of the time they don't need any more attention.

That's just my two cents. Our two forums have somewhat different 'cultures,' but there are a lot of parallels.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Are the reasons for a deletion not visible to everyone? Take a look back at all the deletions I did this morning in the Funny Pictures thread. Doesn't "Reason: Politics or reply to political post." appear in the slot for each deleted post?
    No, it looks like the post never existed.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Once upon a time, another forum I used to visit set up something like this. Only admins/mods were able to post in the forum. All that was posted was a brief synopsis of why the user was banned. It helped answer the questions about disappearances I keep seeing surface here.

Top Bottom