Hurley's Gold

Any good areas for bass fishing near Austin?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Lake Travis. Almost any of the lakes in the chain. Some have even been caught in Town lake but I wouldn't eat any from there. Are you shore fishing or boat? Some lakes up in Camp Mabry as well but I haven't personally fished them.

Reactions: Raz

Raz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2018
    Austin
    Lake Travis. Almost any of the lakes in the chain. Some have even been caught in Town lake but I wouldn't eat any from there. Are you shore fishing or boat? Some lakes up in Camp Mabry as well but I haven't personally fished them.
    Fishing from bank

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Lots of places. For the most part they can be fished year round. You need to be a little more specific in your request of what you want to do.

Raz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2018
    Austin
    Lots of places. For the most part they can be fished year round. You need to be a little more specific in your request of what you want to do.
    All the time bank fishing and may be try to catch bass/trout/cat if any. I am still trying to research on the type of fish i want to fish but I will start with bass

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Trout will be difficult as they only live in a narrow environment. TPWD does releases every now and then though.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_directions.phtml?a=94

Catfish can be found almost anywhere.

White bass will run in the spring and a lot of fun can be had fishing for those.

Some really good Crappie fishing around too (My favorite eating fish).

My favorite Largemouth Bass lake is Aquilla up around Waco. It has limited recreational boating due to tree stumps everywhere. Fishing is great though.

You will have a hard time shore fishing though due to limited places to get to and ants. You will need to consider some kind of boat/float/platform if you want to be more successful. A tube or raft or even canoe or kayak can work well for one. You have to be able to get to where the fish are not wait for them to come to you.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Consider hiring a guide on one of the lakes around. See where they take you. If you have the money and a place to keep one, a small aluminum boat and motor can be had pretty cheap and will get you to spots. If I had somewhere to park one I would have another.

Raz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2018
    Austin
    Consider hiring a guide on one of the lakes around. See where they take you. If you have the money and a place to keep one, a small aluminum boat and motor can be had pretty cheap and will get you to spots. If I had somewhere to park one I would have another.
    Would you know any good guides?

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Tough order. Bank fishing for bass is tough. Stock ponds and small rivers, maybe small community lakes. Sorry to say, but if you have to ask, it probably isn't happening.

Catfish are more doable, but they have a habit of biting best between 1 and 3 am, not the most pleasant time to fish in winter.

Since you said you're from "west" and are now in Austin, I reccommend rainbow colored gummie worms for bass.

Welcome to the forum.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom