• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Please do not ask my why or what for. Just foolin' around with things i bought on a whim.
    Several years ago I was browsing around a gun show and sale near Madison Wisconsin. They were randomly auctioning lots of various items, parts, accessories. ammo and loads of absolute junk. n the middle of this was an old guy looking to sell a "lot" of rifles. All the same type. Spanish bolt action CTME 7.62 nato La Gardia Seville carbines from around the time of the Spanish Civil War. (1936-37) Nothing to jump up and down about but serviceable. There were six in the lot and the gentleman did not want o piece meal them out. Just wanted to sell them as a lot. He was not getting any takers so he put them on the auction block. I was somewhat interested if they were cheap enough. So I waited around to see what happened. The auctioneer somewhat described the lot.
    Not knowing any better I opened for five hundred for the lot of six. People looked at me like I had hot brass down my pants and snickered. I ended up with the six rifles. Now I was concerned that I had just purchased some mighty fine "tomato stakes" for my garden.
    When I got them home and smuggled them into my basement to survey the things.
    Incredibly dirty and full of old grease but no rust. after several days of soaking and scrubbing they weren't so bad. Pretty basic little crappy carbines with actually decent bores. The rear sights are solid integral to the receiver with a two orifice peep sight. I cleaned and stained the stocks. The guns were Parkerized so nothing to do there. But the actions are small ring Mauser bolt action with typical military trigger. 7.62 X 51 or .308 Win. is common enough. I put slings on them and sold three of then right off as pig guns. Got $175 apiece for them to help defray my loss. At a show a young kid was standing around looking at anything cheap he could get to handle. His dad told him they didn't have any money to buy foolishness. I asked the dad if his son had a rifle of his own? Nope he uses my .22. I asked why they were there? It was the kid's 16th birthday and he wanted to go to the show. I asked the dad if he had a FOID card and he did. I asked him to fill out the required 4473 and gave him the information to contace me for delivery and I gave the kid a rifle. Made me feel kinda good. Well Don and I are still pretty good friends and his kid is in love! Just for FUN! John

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Very cool. Have not done that with firearms, but I have given away many fishing rods to kids that had none or had whatever POS someone let them use. Just because I didn't like the way it fished. Some well over $100.
    The look on a kid's face when discover it is now theirs is priceless. So is the look on some of the parents faces when they find out that all their tackle doesn't equal that.
    Love it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    Awesome of you. I've never given away a firearm, but I have given good working tools like ratchets and cordless drills to people who were tight on money. Definately a good feeling to make someone's day.

I had a semi rough childhood, we were living in someones garage at this time. I'll always remember the neighbors teenage son driving to the parts store to buy me a bicycle tube repair kit and fixing my bike. I was around 7yo at the time. He's a Mesquite LEO now, last I heard he was a Detective.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I did not always have funds or much for resources. My family was poor and just got by most of the time. My father worked hard without much formal education but a strong work ethic. I earned the value of a dollar by earning it! My grandfather had guns, lots of guns. He was a collector with forty years in the US Army Ordinance Corps. I was his first grandson and we were very close. I worked my way through school and 12 years in the Navy. I earned a couple degrees, (BA in US History, a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a Masters from North-Western) worked and invested and took care of my folks. I retired from a major Pharmaceutical Company when I was 52. The rest is now giving back to history and the Country I fought to defend! Nowhere else in this world offers this opportunity. I am a fierce Patriot and Constitutionalist!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I did not always have funds or much for resources. My family was poor and just got by most of the time. My father worked hard without much formal education but a strong work ethic. I earned the value of a dollar by earning it! My grandfather had guns, lots of guns. He was a collector with forty years in the US Army Ordinance Corps. I was his first grandson and we were very close. I worked my way through school and 12 years in the Navy. I earned a couple degrees, (BA in US History, a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a Masters from North-Western) worked and invested and took care of my folks. I retired from a major Pharmaceutical Company when I was 52. The rest is now giving back to history and the Country I fought to defend! Nowhere else in this world offers this opportunity. I am a fierce Patriot and Constitutionalist!
    Here! Here!

Top Bottom