• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Karlac, I wish I had your knowledge and experience! I've watched racing and harness racing all of my life but watching isn't the same as doing.

All I recognized was the tangling of the legs and that the first Jockey stood up to steady his mount. I recognized the impending disaster that was present before the lead opened up. It could have been ugly and it's a tribute to the Jockeys who saved the day!

OK..... I'm asking. What is YOUR call on this DQ?

Flash

I think it was an unnecessary, less than knowledgeable and unfortunate decision on the part of the Stewards; and suspect that there was some pressure exerted that possibly influenced same.

Folks don't realize what a dirty game horse racing is, from top to bottom.

Told my Dad, an owner and licensed trainer, who owned the co-holder of 1/2 mile record for a thoroughbred, more times than there are Sundays that he was just too honest to be in the race horse business ... the main reason why I always resisted joining him in that endeavor once I got old enough to make my own decisions.

ETA: Jockeys are hired hands, and rarely ride for just on owner/trainer. One of the first things you look for in a race is watching closely any influence the jockey may be exerting over the horse ... from his riding position, yes, but more closely his hands.

I saw nothing in his hands that the jockey did, tried to do, could have done, to influence the horse into initially moving toward the outside ... not to mention that is something you normally would not do.

He may have been able to correct him in the brief movement, but that would be against instinct, and the usual good practice to run on the inside whenever possible.

Too bad, we will never know for sure ...
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK
    Having worked for a UK charity The Injured Jockeys Fund for over 11 years I've been involved in picking up the pieces of numerous jockey injuries of which some have been catastrophic. I've discussed the risks and racing situations with many who have been injured and the bottom line is that they all appreciate the risks, none deliberately ride dangerously and they all accept that horses are not robots which I can testify too as being a showjumper, event and dressage rider for over 40 years on a national level. ( I even competed at your Radnor 3 Day event National championships many moons ago). Believe it or not the injuries sustained flat racing although few than in jump racing tend to be more serious when they do occur.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Having worked for a UK charity The Injured Jockeys Fund for over 11 years I've been involved in picking up the pieces of numerous jockey injuries of which some have been catastrophic. I've discussed the risks and racing situations with many who have been injured and the bottom line is that they all appreciate the risks, none deliberately ride dangerously and they all accept that horses are not robots which I can testify too as being a showjumper, event and dressage rider for over 40 years on a national level. ( I even competed at your Radnor 3 Day event National championships many moons ago). Believe it or not the injuries sustained flat racing although few than in jump racing tend to be more serious when they do occur.

Was wondering about your avatar.

Never got anywhere near that level, but for a number of years after getting out of the service showed & trained hunter/jumpers (had a ready supply of thoroughbreds from the track), taught hunt seat equitation for awhile, imparting what I learned while studying under a German Olympic coach when in the service in Germany (Federmann).

Also did a few local 3 Day Events back in the 70's when it was first starting up here in Texas. Was also a charter member of the original Houston Dressage Society around the same time. Primarily a practicing farrier at the time, I got out of the horse business shortly thereafter to actually to make money and raise a family.

Steer roped on Friday and Saturday nights at local rodeos, and rode hunters and jumpers on Sundays, when most of the local hunter/jumper shows were. My cowboy friends wanted to laugh, but only once. ;)

AAMOF, just gave away my 50 year old 17" Pariani last year to young lady who was a good friend of my father's. He had held onto it for me, was still in his stables and, still in excellent condition, I wanted it to go to someone who could use it after he passed and we were divvying up stuff.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    this may be the last Kentucky Derby.

I’d make a wager right now it’s not the last Derby. This was a very unfortunate incident. No matter what they would have called there was going to be controversy

IMG_2360.jpg

That’s me sitting with the Jockey and my dad (trainer) is holding the horse. Mom, sister, grandmother (owner) and Uncle with close family friends. It’s all we knew until I was about 6. Great memories of the few I still have and I’ve got a few.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
      IMG_2360.jpg
      118.4 KB · Views: 198

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    That’s me sitting with the Jockey and my dad (trainer) is holding the horse. Mom, sister, grandmother (owner) and Uncle with close family friends. It’s all we knew until I was about 6. Great memories of the few I still have and I’ve got a few.

Where was that?

Top Bottom