• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Yesterday the widow of a friend gifted me several fire arms, most are rusted and unusable. But there were three handguns that work. One is a Ruger Single Six Colorado Centennial Model, one is a High Standard Model HB and last ly si this one. As best as I can figure out it is a S&W Model 1 1/2, .32 centerfire, single action, probably made around 1890. I cannot locate he serial number as it is most likely under the grips and the screw is rusted. It came to me loaded with 5 rounds of S&W .32, so that is the only reason I know the caliber. The only other markings are on top of the barrel and have "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A. Pat'd Jan 17 & 24 55 (a bunch of other dates) Reissue July 25 1871"

Does anyone have any more information to share on this?

Thanks

1698252028109.png
    Gun Zone Deals

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Later .32 frame Model 1 1/2 made between 1878-1892. Grips have been replaced ...and looks like the bottom of the trigger has been removed or broken off.

See page 76 of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson...........(I have the 3rd Edition)

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Later .32 frame Model 1 1/2 made between 1878-1892. Grips have been replaced ...and looks like the bottom of the trigger has been removed or broken off.

See page 76 of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson...........(I have the 3rd Edition)
    Thanks for the info. I just got word from the local gun smith it is good to go now I gotta find ammo. Hope it don’t cost an arm and leg

mortdooley

Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    You or someone you know should make ammo using black powder even if it is rated for smokeless. It isn't something you will shoot much so a single 50 round box may be all you will ever need.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Dude, that’s a very cool piece of history. In my 25 years in this earth I’ve never seen one.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Dude, that’s a very cool piece of history. In my 25 years in this earth I’ve never seen one.
    Well I have a confession. It is not a .32 but a .38. I was misled by pictures and not having the gun in hand. Anyway best I can figure out it was made between 1887 and 1890. I have fired the thing and it is just fine. In fact all I read about the loads I bought ($50 per box, ouch) they are weaker than the original black powder ones. Anyway it will come out for show and tell on occasions. I have people lined up that want to shoot it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Worked with a guy who inherited a .38 S&W and was looking for ammo at the height of the shortage. Took me a few weeks, but I finally found him a source. He nearly passed out when I told him the price. Some guns are better off as display pieces.

Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Save that brass. .38 S&W is easy enough to reload. Even if you don't want to reload it the brass has value. Somebody will want it. It's not a rare caliber really, the WWII British Service revolvers were chambered in .38 S&W. A lot of those were sold as surplus in the States.

It's .80 a round online. Starline has brass. Missouri Bullet Company has .361 diameter cast lead bullets for it. But if you're not going to shoot it much it's not worth the trouble if you don't reload otherwise.

Of course I'd reload the cases, and then use the excuse that I have ammo to look for something I could shoot more in that caliber. Maybe you'll get a S&W Victory revolver.....

baboon

TGT Addict
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    .38 S&W without the bullet is what is used to propel 40 mm M781 chalk rounds. If you don't reload the case do have a resale value. perhaps as much as you paid for them.

Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    New Starline brass is .19 to .25 cents a piece. Of course course you have to buy at least 500.
    .38 S&W without the bullet is what is used to propel 40 mm M781 chalk rounds. If you don't reload the case do have a resale value. perhaps as much as you paid for them

Top Bottom