• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    From the latest edition of American Legion magazine: "The American Legion is participating in Welcome Home, a special event honoring Vietnam War veterans and their families 50 years after the war."

Well golly, wow, and gee whiz, why didn't they wait another 50 years and we'd all be dead so there would be no need for an event, they could save the money for some other more special program. Pardon me, but this just chaps my ass. Nobody had the guts to welcome us home 50 years ago when we were getting rotten hamburgers thrown at us and were called murderers and baby killers. Now that there are no protestors, we're welcomed back. Well, they can kiss my lily white ass. On second thought, no, they can't, they're not good enough.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I always liked the American Legion magazine. My Dad (Korean War Vet) got it and they often had really good articles. Let's face a bit of reality: the VFW and AL and such places were originally filled with vets from WWI, WWII, and Korea. Vietnam vets didn't feel a burning need to hang around with other vets, particularly after the way they were treated by the hippies and such. Todays vets aren't joining in droves either. The WWII vets are nearly all dead and the Korean War vets are in God's waiting room. They need people or they will die out. But glenbo is exactly right, where was that big fat welcome in 1973? My recollection is that they did try, but not very hard.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry, I can't get chapped around the ass about a veterans organization wanting to recognize the 50th anniversary of a momentous event in US military history!

I am sure this isn't the first event the American Legion has held for Vietnam vets, nor do I believe it will be the last.

Anyone wanting to recognize those who served, and especially combat vets, has my full support!

Such organizations did experience an uptick in membership following DESERT SHIELD and STORM, and into GWOT, OIF and OEF until those latter two turned into shitstorms (especially OEF) when veterans once again felt they lost the support of the American public and politicians.

Having just come off Field Training, I got the usual 'thanks for my service' which I don't mind; but the true heroes are the ones still fighting their battles as a result of their time in uniform.

Top Bottom