ARJ Defense ad

Am I expecting too much out of my shooting ability?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've only been to the range 2 times this year, so far. I think the first time I ever shot a gun was the best I ever did and it's been on the decline. Some of which might be caused by my vision. I have these 2" splatter stickers that I like to put on the targets. Usually shooting around them, at 7 yards. I used to be able to hold a 4" group at 14-15yrds. Now it's much more random with the grouping. 7yrds I was shooting left and a mix of low and high. Even though I was aiming at the same sticker and even at time trying to compensate for my left shooting.

I had to sight in my Ruger Mark IV as I put on a new front sight and it made it shoot way off. I got a rest to use and got it as close as I could. It kept on shooting left for some reason though even after adjustments. It was kinda random. I would adjust, see where I hit, adjust, still hitting the same area, try again and it's a little better. It was some repeat of that.

I usually bring at least 3 guns to the range. My ROF varies, double taps arn't that good. Right handed. I expect myself to be able to hold a 2" if not 1" group at 7 yards and fairly fast fire, maybe 2 shots a second. But it doesn't come close to happening. Is this a realistic assumption that many people can do this?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Many people shoot good/better the first time. They then start developing bad habits.

Start with proper technique every round. Specifically go thru steps about hold stance sight alignment and TRIGGER PULL. The next round do it all over again, and again till you develop consistency and muscle memory. Then you can start speed drills but begin and end every session with slow deliberate steps. Ensuring you reinforce the proper technique and over ride any bad habit you picked up.

It's a perishable skill.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Work on accuracy first, then worry about speed, is what I’ve been taught.
    Diva is right.
    Fast is fine, accuracy is final.

Concentrate on fundamentals and making each shot accurate as possible while maintaining fundamentals.
    Grip, stance, sight, breathe and squeeze. Each right before the next. Any step that is not right causes everything after to be wrong.
    Let speed develop on it's own. It does not matter how fast you shoot if you can't hit what you aim at.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Dry fire indeed helped me, loads. I have been at live fire practice or matches 2-3 times a month for a couple years now and I’ve not got speed down yet, though.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I know what you mean in regards to vision. I was having the same problem with accuracy. My shooting instructor had me put on the glasses I use at work to read my computer and I did fine. I can pass the DPS drivers test without glasses. Kinda weird how that works.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am an instructor. The old saying that practice makes perfect isn't true. Practice makes habits. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I strongly suggest professional training. It is very difficult to diagnose errors without actually watching someone shoot, but it seems to me, at least from what you wrote, that you are slapping the trigger.

Slow way down and press the trigger smoothly and slowly.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Fundamentals first. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Trigger control, grip, site alignment, follow through, speed and tempo, they all have to be in concert. As well as the flinch aspect. And everybody is going to/will flinch when it goes bang. Controlling it and being prepared for it is what counts. So keep up with the dry fire and as was suggested, and add some professional training to point out some bad habits and critique the mechanics. Yes, it sucks to have somebody you don't really know tell you that you are doing something wrong, but, having done that myself, and being honest about it to myself, it really did help me out with the basics quite a bit.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Something like a MantisX trainer can help if you can't get to the range often. It will also tell you what you are doing wrong.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've only been to the range 2 times this year, so far.

I expect myself to be able to hold a 2" if not 1" group at 7 yards and fairly fast fire, maybe 2 shots a second. But it doesn't come close to happening. Is this a realistic assumption that many people can do this?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

While I know many people can rapid fire 2" groups at 2 shots a second from 7 yds, I suspect a vast majority haven't reached that skill level, myself included. You definitely need more range time, but dry fire, lots of it, will result in a huge improvement.

Dry fire with the Laserlyte training round is what gave me the largest improvement in a short time.. Spend a couple of weeks using it daily, and I can almost guarantee a dramatic improvement. I said almost:)

https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-tr...rlyte+trainer&qid=1557147428&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Yeah, it might seem expensive, but you will waste at least that much money in live ammo. And it is great for practice between range trips. You don't need any of those action targets that you can buy for it, just tack a target to the wall. It will show you if you are jerking or anticipating recoil.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Good practice is a major factor.

When I was able to shoot weekly, I was holding nice groups at 15 yards in rapid fire pairs. Now that I am doing good to get out once a month, those groups opened waaayyyy up.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I also might add that every trigger pull is different. I would suggest dry firing practice the most. I find it helps maintaining sight picture while squeezing the trigger is the biggest help.

When dry firing you can tell a lot easier when your trigger finger is shifting the weapon in your hand & pushing your sights off just ever so slightly.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Right handed. I expect myself to be able to hold a 2" if not 1" group at 7 yards and fairly fast fire, maybe 2 shots a second ...Is this a realistic assumption that many people can do this?

Single hand, 1” group, 2 shots, 1 second is unrealistic without a lot of training and practice. You need both accuracy and precision for that to occur. In my experience, that’s pro territory with a handgun.

Your quandary is accuracy and precision in a timed environment.

336de57d051e05073d656aeda50e2d3a.jpg

Attachments

• 336de57d051e05073d656aeda50e2d3a.jpg
      336de57d051e05073d656aeda50e2d3a.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 198

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

Poboy gunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    DFW
    Funny thing is, I am a trigger jerker. I pull the trigger when it is on target. Works for me. I guess it's just all the years of doing it that way, but, I don't pull the gun.

I think it's just the way you pull the trigger. I would think some snipers actually do the same, because, you need a split second shot, and the perp could move out of position while you "squeeze off a shot between breaths".

It all happens in microseconds, and if you don't jerk the gun sideways, the bullet should wind up exactly where you are aiming.

Works for me.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It is a consistancy thing.
    The easiest way to learn is to do it right.
    Doing it wrong can still give you accuracy, IF you do it wrong EXACTLY the same each time. Eventually you just learn to compensate. You just have to be consistant.
    It just generally takes longer and is harder for most people.
    Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom