• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I know I'm not the only one here that loves that sweet brown nectar.

Here in Houston a whiskey bar called Reserve 101 had their 10 year anniversary back in Jan. I got these 2 pours for $10 each. Yep, the one on the left is Glenfiddich 40. It was just cool to order it. At retail of $3,500 a bottle, I don't think I'll be tasting it again anytime soon. I actually preferred the 21 and that can be had for about $180.
    39734933292_bc0ab95c60_b.jpg

Here's my dusty "collection". Yellow Rose is no longer a part of it.
    40401121091_5ca02151ea_b.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Are we talking whiskey? Or whisky?

The Aberlouer 18 whisky is very good.

Recently bought a bottle of Angels Envy, but have not tried it yet.

Was given a bottle of Colonel Taylors Rye. It's not bad, but I think rye is not my favorite.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Are we talking whiskey? Or whisky?

The Aberlouer 18 whisky is very good.

Recently bought a bottle of Angels Envy, but have not tried it yet.

Was given a bottle of Colonel Taylors Rye. It's not bad, but I think rye is not my favorite.
    I've heard good things about Angel's Envy and their Rye. I need to pick it up.

I had the chance to sample the Whistle Pig Boss Hog "Black Prince" a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad. It wasn't worth the retail of $450 either.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    There was me 'n my buddy, we were in college and has just scored dates with a couple of gals who were friends. They were coming over to my apt for steaks and drinks and we HOPED for a LOT more!

Pooling out money we got steaks, potatoes, some salad fixings and we now find ourselves in the liquor store and we got a problem...money! Bourbon and Coke was the drink of the time and we were optimistically wanting to get a liter bottle of good WL Weller 90 the best selling bourbon in Texas at that time, but doing that and there no money for a case of cokes. And, we KNEW we needed that bourbon to get the weekend we wanted with those girls.

As we stand in the store and ponder the sales guy shows us another display which was the WL Weller bottle filled with WATER for "Weller 'n water" on the display. He says if you buy a quart you get a quart of water free! SOLD!

That was back in the 60's, to this day I have never mixed a whiskey with anything other that a ice or a touch of water.

For you Scotch drinker here is a handmade here in San Antonio worth your time. Instead of smoking with Peat, they smoke with Mesquite, its a single Malt, its unique and different and of great taste. Made by Ranger Creek Distillery. They make some of the best drinking whiskey I have every had, this is top shelf stuff. https://drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey/

img_2542_med.jpg

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I will definitely have to try the Rimfire. We have Balcones Distillery in Waco that makes a Texas Single Malt, won gold medals and is quite good. They are cracking open their cask reserve rye on March 10th at their spring party and I understand tickets are still available.

One evening I ordered a single malt and a friend asked what my favorite was, I said it would be 25 yo Glenmorangie. She said, I will send you a bottle - turns out she is a collector. That was two years ago and I still have half a bottle (no, you can't come over :) ).

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I'll check Total Wine for Ranger Creek.

I've been waiting for my brother to send me Colonel EH Taylor Four Grain that he can get or has got at retail $70. It goes for $500 if you can find it. I've been waiting since summer. Not looking good. lol

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I will definitely have to try the Rimfire. We have Balcones Distillery in Waco that makes a Texas Single Malt, won gold medals and is quite good. They are cracking open their cask reserve rye on March 10th at their spring party and I understand tickets are still available.

One evening I ordered a single malt and a friend asked what my favorite was, I said it would be 25 yo Glenmorangie. She said, I will send you a bottle - turns out she is a collector. That was two years ago and I still have half a bottle (no, you can't come over :) ).
    For a leatherneck you got some good taste gong on. IF I had to do it over again, I would have made my career in the USMC instead of the Army.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I like the Balcones Baby Blue. Its made from roasted blue corn. Interesting, and different.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Killed off a bottle of Glenlivit 18 last night.

Its been taunting me from the back of the cabinet.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My go-to is 18 year old Glenlivet. Their 15 year old French cask reserve is quite nice, as is their 16 year old Glenlivet Nadurra.

But I've yet to encounter anything from the Highlands I dislike. Glenmorrangie, Glen Ord, Glen Keith, Glen Rothes, Balvenie...

I'm also a fan of Jameson's and Bushmills on the Irish side of things. Tullamore Dew doesn't do it for me, though. And if you're in the mood for something sweeter, Irish Mist is a wonderful thing. Irish whiskey blended with honey.

Top Bottom