• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I've been using Lee Liquid Alox as a bullet lube with good results but it takes a long time to dry and remains slightly tacky even after drying so I thought I'd try Rooster Jacket.

The mold is a Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R 38 Special, 357 Magnum

The alloy was wheel weights.

The bullets were water dropped when cast.

They were then tumble lubed with Rooster Jacket and then sized to 0.358.

They were tumble lubed a second time.

They were loaded over 4.5 grains Red Dot in Midway 357 mag cases with Federal small pistol primers and had an estimated velocity of 800 fps. This is well within the range this lube is recommended for.

They were 100 rounds fired in a stainless steel Ruger GP 100 with a 4 inch barrel.

The lube did dry quickly as advertised (within a couple hours) and were dry to touch when finished. However when I shot them I was disappointed. They made a lot of smoke and and after a few rounds the revolver was covered with soot. There was also a fair amount of lead left in the barrel. Most of it is at the rear of the barrel near the forcing cone so it probably wouldn't affect accuracy but will take a bit of extra time to clean up.

Someone else may have different results but for me, I'm going to stick to Liquid Alox. Less smoke, soot and leading. Unfortunately, I'm an optimist and lubed the entire batch with the Rooster Jacket and still have about 800 left. I'll try re-lubing them with Alox and see what happens.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    good to hear some results, even though they were at your expense. ive been using LLA for a long time and ive had nothing but problems with it in my sprindfield xd. ive been wondering how this Rooster Jacket works but now i know. thanks partner.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    good to hear some results, even though they were at your expense. ive been using LLA for a long time and ive had nothing but problems with it in my sprindfield xd. ive been wondering how this Rooster Jacket works but now i know. thanks partner.

What sort of issues are you having?

Top Bottom