• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, did you photograph the rifle, if so, did you use a product box? Lights?

Thanks,
    I take pictures of everything i own. I also take detailed pics of each step that i do in my museum work. Then I supply the museums with the high resolution pictures of the before and after of their particular piece. The pictures I take of my personal pieces are for archival and insurance purposes. For the museums to show them what I have done (not how I do it) to show them it is their property and not a scam.
    The y previously had a situation with a criminal that was doing their preservation and repairs. He was caught "defarbing" (fake aging and removing modern markings on reproductions) and giving the museum the fakes. He is doing time!
    I do use light boxes for small items and platform risers for long guns. Both direct and reflected lighting with dimmer control boxes. I avoid any reflective background drapes and minimal supporting fixtures. I use a NIKON D-5100 Digital Auto Focus with remote shutter operation. Tripod mounted with vernier camera mounts. The key is... lots of practice and various lenses. Macro lenses are useful for extreme detail close-up of serial numbers etc. Practice with close-up photography of coins from various angles with lighting aspects. Then you got it! A great camera is a must. John
    Lynx Defense

Dan-O

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    San Antonio
    I take pictures of everything i own. I also take detailed pics of each step that i do in my museum work. Then I supply the museums with the high resolution pictures of the before and after of their particular piece. The pictures I take of my personal pieces are for archival and insurance purposes. For the museums to show them what I have done (not how I do it) to show them it is their property and not a scam.
    The y previously had a situation with a criminal that was doing their preservation and repairs. He was caught "defarbing" (fake aging and removing modern markings on reproductions) and giving the museum the fakes. He is doing time!
    I do use light boxes for small items and platform risers for long guns. Both direct and reflected lighting with dimmer control boxes. I avoid any reflective background drapes and minimal supporting fixtures. I use a NIKON D-5100 Digital Auto Focus with remote shutter operation. Tripod mounted with vernier camera mounts. The key is... lots of practice and various lenses. Macro lenses are useful for extreme detail close-up of serial numbers etc. Practice with close-up photography of coins from various angles with lighting aspects. Then you got it! A great camera is a must. John

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation... When not poking holes in paper, I shoot a Canon 6D. I have been having fun lately shooting my wife's Mixed-Media creations. So far I only utilize flash as I do not have constant lighting (just a hobbyist).

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I can't speak to the ops mad handle. But mine springs from the mad minute rifle competition and it's history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    My Mad John was bestowed on me by fellow sailors in Vietnam. In Psy-Ops we used the names of songs and names of particular mixed drinks as "call" designation.
    Mad John was the name of a song by an English group called "Small Faces" in 1969. It just stuck to me since then.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    My Mad John was bestowed on me by fellow sailors in Vietnam. In Psy-Ops we used the names of songs and names of particular mixed drinks as "call" designation.
    Mad John was the name of a song by an English group called "Small Faces" in 1969. It just stuck to me since then.
    Very cool, thank you for your service in Vietnam.

I too spent a little time in a Psy-Ops unit.... No cool nicknames.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom