• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Gentlemen,
    After many years of looking, studying and pricing, I have found the preeminent addition to my Springfield Trapdoor collection. This piece will probably be the end to a long love of collecting this type. It will in essence be all but impossible to top.
    Last year I stumbled into a once in a lifetime opportunity yo research and purchase this 1873 First Model Cavalry Carbine. It is in the serial number range of the Carbines issued the US Seventh Cavalry as mentioned in the documents of Lt Col. George A Custer from Rock Island Arsenal in 1875.
    The carbine as shown below is in NRA Antique Condition of Very Fine to Extra Fine. Alot of finish has turned grey patina with age. It is totally original in every part and has never been "arsenal" retouched. All internal parts are as issued. Aside from several small handling marks, the stock is untouched including the inspectors cartouche to the rear of the saddle ring bar. The bore is incredible with only two small pits visible only with an endoscope. AND it shoots like the day it was born. Brought a historic tear to my eye.
    It was probably issued to a trooper with Marcus Reno's detachment and returned on June 27th 1876. Serial # 19300.
    Un-altered First model carbines are rare to begin with as attrition and retrofit was the order of the day. Many did not survive the years of service and were scrapped. Original Trapdoor Carbines are quite sought after and many fakes do exist. The population compares to full rifles is small, only around 70,000 total production from 1873 through 1893.
    Trapdoor rifles are alot of fun to shoot and are probably among the easiest to get a nice specimen of a weapon used during the late 1800's. I have a good number of them in my collection, some I will be sharing with you in the future. John
    19300 A.jpg
    19300 B.jpg
    19300 C.jpg
    19300 D.jpg
    19300 E.jpg
    19300 F.jpg
    19300 G.jpg
    19300 H.jpg
    19300 I.jpg
    CUSTER-MAP-1-a.jpg
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• 19300 A.jpg
      19300 A.jpg
      18.2 KB · Views: 613
    • 19300 B.jpg
      19300 B.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 647
    • 19300 C.jpg
      19300 C.jpg
      104.7 KB · Views: 623
    • 19300 D.jpg
      19300 D.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 617
    • 19300 E.jpg
      19300 E.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 664
    • 19300 F.jpg
      19300 F.jpg
      18 KB · Views: 604
    • 19300 G.jpg
      19300 G.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 636
    • 19300 H.jpg
      19300 H.jpg
      141.4 KB · Views: 620
    • 19300 I.jpg
      19300 I.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 644
    • CUSTER-MAP-1-a.jpg
      CUSTER-MAP-1-a.jpg
      211.3 KB · Views: 805

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That is sweet!
    Ok, I take it back. I'm jealous.
    But congrats on the find anyway.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dan-O

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    San Antonio
    Gentlemen,
    After many years of looking, studying and pricing, I have found the preeminent addition to my Springfield Trapdoor collection. This piece will probably be the end to a long love of collecting this type. It will in essence be all but impossible to top.
    Last year I stumbled into a once in a lifetime opportunity yo research and purchase this 1873 First Model Cavalry Carbine. It is in the serial number range of the Carbines issued the US Seventh Cavalry as mentioned in the documents of Lt Col. George A Custer from Rock Island Arsenal in 1875.
    The carbine as shown below is in NRA Antique Condition of Very Fine to Extra Fine. Alot of finish has turned grey patina with age. It is totally original in every part and has never been "arsenal" retouched. All internal parts are as issued. Aside from several small handling marks, the stock is untouched including the inspectors cartouche to the rear of the saddle ring bar. The bore is incredible with only two small pits visible only with an endoscope. AND it shoots like the day it was born. Brought a historic tear to my eye.
    It was probably issued to a trooper with Marcus Reno's detachment and returned on June 27th 1876. Serial # 19300.
    Un-altered First model carbines are rare to begin with as attrition and retrofit was the order of the day. Many did not survive the years of service and were scrapped. Original Trapdoor Carbines are quite sought after and many fakes do exist. The population compares to full rifles is small, only around 70,000 total production from 1873 through 1893.
    Trapdoor rifles are alot of fun to shoot and are probably among the easiest to get a nice specimen of a weapon used during the late 1800's. I have a good number of them in my collection, some I will be sharing with you in the future. John View attachment 163276 View attachment 163277 View attachment 163278 View attachment 163279 View attachment 163280 View attachment 163281 View attachment 163282 View attachment 163283 View attachment 163284 View attachment 163285
    Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, did you photograph the rifle, if so, did you use a product box? Lights?

Thanks,

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, did you photograph the rifle, if so, did you use a product box? Lights?

Thanks,

Yes.
    Was wondering the same thing before I came to Dan-O's post.

Give us a quickie summary about how the photo-documentation was accomplished.
    Most any recent DSLR is up to the task but the real skill and knowledge is in background and lighting.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I'm guessing that's the one you got from the estate. Fabulous find. Congratulations.
    Yes this s the one. I am so very grateful to the family and executor for giving me the opportunity to purchase it. Even if I did not have money readily available I would have taken out a loan to get it. I do not even do that when buying a car or truck. The missus gave me the old "stink eye" when I told her about it.... when she finally saw it she thought it was darned pretty and glad I had made the deal. Put a dent in my "mad money" fund for collections.... lol John

Top Bottom