• leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Specific question for the experts on here:

I am an old ‘’pump-gunner’’, grew-up on Mod 12’s, had a ‘’BPS’’, then back around 1990, went to the 870 EF & SF lines. I have bought 4 SF’s and also own several ‘’tactical’’ 870 models.

My primary hunting shotgun has been a 12ga 870 SF for 35+ years, it is very ‘’experienced’’, & still runs fine w/ just regular cleanings.

During those decades, my ‘’travel gun’’ has been a nearly-identical 870SF in 20GA. It has fired about 1/4 the number of rounds.

Some 6 or 7 years back, the 20 began with cycling difficulties. Several gunsmiths could find nothing wrong, then this State’s largest shop’s ‘’Pumpgun Expert’’ changed the ‘’loading gate’’, & the little gun ran fine for another 5 or 6 years.

Now, it is having similar probems again. Most of my ammo is the Federal high brass or premium Bismuth from various manufacturers, for both 12 & 20 gauges. The 20GA problem is with various ammo, all from gunshops, mostly Federals from R&M in ElCampo. The problem is admittedly intermittent.

The local gunshop could find nothing wrong. After thorough cleaning, they test fired it and found it worked well. But, to me, with much greater experience, the action still feels a bit rough. The problems include difficulty ejecting a fired round, sometimes requiring taking the gun from shoulder, and occasional FTL’s, closing on an empty chamber. I am fairly certain that I am not ‘’short stroking’’ the action; and that wouldn’t explain the intermittent forceful ejections, anyway. The 12GA doesn’t have this problem, ever.

Both fired and unfired shells look perfectly normal.

I well understand that no pump is nearly as smooth as a Mod. 12, but I find that other 870SF’s operate more smoothly, as this one once did.

Does anyone with 870 expertise here have any ideas ?

Thanks,

leVieux

<>

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    The local gunshop could find nothing wrong. After thorough cleaning, they test fired it and found it worked well. But, to me, with much greater experience, the action still feels a bit rough.

Perform this test:

Ask friends to give it a work-out.

Tell them "something is weird", but don't tell them what is the problem.

If they don't notice anything. well. :)

I used to do this with my motorcycles and casting reels. It was usually something weird I was doing.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Perform this test:

Ask friends to give it a work-out.

Tell them "something is weird", but don't tell them what is the problem.

If they don't notice anything. well. :)

I used to do this with my motorcycles and casting reels. It was usually something weird I was doing.
    <>

Have done that a bit. Problem is that today there are very few highly experienced pumpgun folks still around and the problem is admittedly intermittent.

(The slightly ‘’rough’’ cycling feel is not intermittent,, even compared to other 870SF’s.)

OTOH, it was ‘’fixed’’ once and ran well for 5 or 6 years before problems returned.

I have 3 other guns same make & model which don’t do this.

Also it is a 3’’ chamber gun, having problems w/ 2-3/4‘’ shells.

leVieux

<>

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    The only issue I have ever had with my 870 has been with cheaper ammo.

The chamber tolerances are such that when the metal portion of the shell expands and doesn’t have the elasticity to shrink enough, the extractor cants the shell just enough that it “jams” in the chamber. A cleaning rod easily pushes it out though (no canting and an even “push).

The same ammo with an O/U is never a problem since the extractor pulls on 1/3 of the shell’s circumference, with no significant canting.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Cheap steel head ammo causes problems.
    Brass washed steel heads aren’t any better.
    Almost all shotgun ammo now have steel heads. Some work well, like Remington Gun Clubs. It turns out that steel doesn’t relax after firing like brass does.
    The only three true brass heads I am sure of are Remington STS and Nitro and Winchester AA’s

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Cheap steel head ammo causes problems.
    Brass washed steel heads aren’t any better.
    Almost all shotgun ammo now have steel heads. Some work well, like Remington Gun Clubs. It turns out that steel doesn’t relax after firing like brass does.
    The only three true brass heads I am sure of are Remington STS and Nitro and Winchester AA’s
    <>

Yes, I’ve noted that all kinds of.’’brass’’ shells stick to my magnet.

One manufacturer is even putting a magnetic extractor in iits doubles.

<>

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If op isn’t wussy pumping it what it can be too is maybe he’s got grease or heavy oil; one such shotgun such as the mossberg action needs to run clean and dry.
    I'm going to go with the "too much lubricant " guess.
    Who knows how many different lubricants a field gun gets between thorough cleanings.
    Might be like cheese in there.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I'm going to go with the "too much lubricant " guess.
    Who knows how many different lubricants a field gun gets between thorough cleanings.
    Might be like cheese in there.
    If you take a clean 500 and put just a little grease on parts, the action will seize. So yeah I can see your point being spot on.

Most of the time it’s the lifter arms. I bet if op just hosed the action out with break cleaner it would work just fine.

If every gun smith looked at it and gave the ejector, extractor, lifter and shell stop a clean bill of health, then ops problems pop up after x amount of time, I think we know.

Top Bottom