TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hoji,

Thanks.

Feral hogs have cost me thousands...

They are a serious problem.

I wish some biologists could come up with a sterilization plan that of course wouldn't somehow come back to haunt us with the given 'the law of unexpected consequences' type scenario.....
    Lynx Defense

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Hoji,

Thanks.

I wish some biologists could come up with a sterilization plan that of course wouldn't somehow come back to haunt us with the given 'the law of unexpected consequences' type scenario.....
    There is a toxin in the works. Problem is a delivery system that only the pigs can access. Another problem is pigs learn. They learn fast.

I have heard from some people I used to work with that the pig only delivery systems work great until the pigs figure out it is poison, and , quit going to the trough.

A counterpart from another agency sent me a video from one of their old tripwire round cage traps of a group of piglets making a beeline for the trap entrance when momma sow blocked the door and was nosing her offspring away from it.

Was told she later figured out how to drop the gate by hitting the sides of the trap and then moving it to get the corn in the middle

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I will say this up front. I don't do hog population control. I regularly hunt properties as hog control to kill hogs and by default to dissuade their brethren to stay away. Hogs, just like any other free ranging animal, are going to make entry on the properties just like bugs will make entry into your homes. Having the pest control guy come and spray for bugs in your home does not affect the entirety of the bugpopulation in a significant manner. That is because the bugs can live and breed outside of your home just fine.

Similarly, helicopters, traps, hog doggers, poison, etc. won't take down the population significantly in Texas either and for the same reason that hunting isn't doing it. It won't be universally and continually applied. Treated areas will be continually re-invaded. Even more of an issue is that not everybody is going to allow such methods be used on their properties, so there will always be sanctuary properties that will serve as safe havens and breeding grounds.

IIRC, it is Missouri or Kansas that doesn't allow the hunting of hogs on public lands but is claiming that their trapping program to keep hogs numbers down is working, but the irony of their success is that they are trapping more and more hogs each year. Here it is, Missouri...

6500 in 2017 https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-and...ore-6500-feral-hogs-missouri’s-landscape-2017
    5300 in 2016 https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-continues-work-remove-feral-hogs-landscape
    3649 in 2015 (same article)

They are killing hogs, no doubt, but the numbers seem to be moving in the wrong direction to indicate that they are controlling the population.

So "hunting" alone isn't going to control the population, mostly because not enough people engage in it on the properties where hogs are a problem. I know lots of deer hunters who do not shoot hogs during deer season because they don't want to scare away the deer, never considering for a moment that hogs are doing some of that for them already. Texas issued over 1.2 million hunting licenses and I would be willing to bet 2/3 of those folks didn't shoot a hog. I know, a lot of those folks are bird hunters, but even so, they aren't hunting hogs despite the large number of licensees that we have. Bottom line is that while we have a lot of hunters, they aren't all hunting hogs and they certainly aren't all doing it with any sort of regularity.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Brady is essentially the center of Texas. On Feb 23, all hunters are to meet there and we will fan out killing or flushing all feral hogs beyond our border. Wear comfortable shoes. :green:

TexasPatriot1916

Active-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas
    Hoji,

Thanks.

Am Happy To Help if you ever need an extra hand in Eradication of Hogs !

Top Bottom