• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That’s true. Was trying to speak ballistically. Y’all are sorta like trying to argue with a wifey type person. Always trying to plug new info into the equation. That ain’t very nice.

To me it feels like arguing with a liberal. Always trying to pick out a tiny snippet and building an argument around it without concerning their self with any other relevant information because it makes their argument sound stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That’s true. Was trying to speak ballistically. Y’all are sorta like trying to argue with a wifey type person. Always trying to plug new info into the equation. That ain’t very nice.

The problem is you didn’t add anything the OPs question about a pistol length AR. If you want to have a discussion on the merits of one caliber over another, start your own thread.

I specifically brought up 300BLK as an option since the OP was looking for info on a heavy 5.56 bullet in a short barrel, which isn’t really worth the effort.

OP wants to stick with 5.56, and seems to understand the challenge with those heavier projectiles in that short of a barrel.

Where 300BLK shines in that short barrel is the cartridge design. It’s charged with a faster burning powder that is mostly, if not completely combusted by the time it leaves the barrel, which 5.56 doesn’t do in that distance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem is you didn’t add anything the OPs question about a pistol length AR. If you want to have a discussion on the merits of one caliber over another, start your own thread.

I specifically brought up 300BLK as an option since the OP was looking for info on a heavy 5.56 bullet in a short barrel, which isn’t really worth the effort.

OP wants to stick with 5.56, and seems to understand the challenge with those heavier projectiles in that short of a barrel.

Where 300BLK shines in that short barrel is the cartridge design. It’s charged with a faster burning powder that is mostly, if not completely combusted by the time it leaves the barrel, which 5.56 doesn’t do in that distance.

With a short barrel 5.56 you get a gun and a flash bang all in one package.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Need MOAR brake
    maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
      maxresdefault.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 194

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I’m certainly in the dark about sub sonic rifle rounds. Wouldn’t they have to be running 800 FPS depending on the temps? As concerns spitzer ammo for .30 30 they are surely available cause I have some. It’s called Hornady Lever Evolution. Supposed to kick the old cowboy guns up into .308 territory. They have little rubber tips to keep them from busting off in the magazine.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Back in my hunting and reloading days, brewed up what I thought would be a good round for deer hunting with my .22 250 of 60 grain solid base Noslers. Guess I had them running a bit too slow. They were good hole punchers but not very good stoppers. The deer would run for a bit after getting shot.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    Oh Boy - Lots of benefits for heavier bullets if you are trying to shoot longer ranges. Better ballistic coefficients, less wind drift etc. What you really have to do is match your barrel twist rate to the types of shooting you want to do. Those light varmint bullets like slower twists 1:12, 1:14 etc. The heavier bullets need faster twists 1:9, 1:7 etc. to properly stabilize. On top of the twist rate, I've read that barrel length can make a difference too on stabilizing a heavier bullet.

For example, I shoot 69g SMK's out of my 26" barrel 1:9 twist, but I'm thinking if I went much heavier the bullet may not stabilize.

Excellent explanation. Heavier Bullets require Tighter Barrel Twists for stabilization. However, Tight Barrel Twists often de-core and fragment lighter steel jacketed bullets. Perhaps this is because of higher centrifugal forces exceed the bond strength of the steel jackets on bullet cores, increased frictional heat incurred by faster moving twisting low mass bullet acceleration, or maybe because of bullet slippage across barrel grooves that might damage the lower mass bullet jacket integrity before leaving the barrel. I’ve seen precisely aimed shots at 50 feet appear to miss the target when firing 55gr through a 1:7 Twist Barrel......then found penetrations from small bullet fragments scattered on targets.....my opinion, anyway.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just want to clarify that bullet length determines the proper twist rate, not weight.

Yes, heavier bullets are generally longer so it can be construed as the same but weight isn't the determining factor.

ELD bullets are an example of throwing a wrench in the twist/ weight theory. They are longer than traditional bullets with the same weight. They may not stabilize in a barrel that will shoot the same weight in a traditional bullet well.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just want to clarify that bullet length determines the proper twist rate, not weight.

Yes, heavier bullets are generally longer so it can be construed as the same but weight isn't the determining factor.

ELD bullets are an example of throwing a wrench in the twist/ weight theory. They are longer than traditional bullets with the same weight. They may not stabilize in a barrel that will shoot the same weight in a traditional bullet well.
    Damn good point. I did not consider that.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Excellent explanation. Heavier Bullets require Tighter Barrel Twists for stabilization. However, Tight Barrel Twists often de-core and fragment lighter steel jacketed bullets. Perhaps this is because of higher centrifugal forces exceed the bond strength of the steel jackets on bullet cores, increased frictional heat incurred by faster moving twisting low mass bullet acceleration, or maybe because of bullet slippage across barrel grooves that might damage the lower mass bullet jacket integrity before leaving the barrel. I’ve seen precisely aimed shots at 50 feet appear to miss the target when firing 55gr through a 1:7 Twist Barrel......then found penetrations from small bullet fragments scattered on targets.....my opinion, anyway.

Sorta reminds me of an old chum who had some guy load him up some fast moving 110 grain ammo for his .30-06. The bullets never arrived on target. The general theory was they were exploding in mid air.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There isn't a rifle around where the barrel twist rate is as critical as in the AR-15 type. Read Robert's post. It's right on.

I also agree on .300BLK for what you want to build and urge you not to blow it off based on ammo cost alone.

Academy sells .300BLK ammo in their bucket specials and by the 20 round box for very reasonable prices. I reload that .300BLK as well. It's a very easy round to load and I can use the same 147 grain slugs that I load for .308 and 30-06.

.300BLK uses unmodified 5.56 magazines. The choice is a winner!

Have fun!

Flash

cjstrauss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    I’m a fan of 55 grain for any of 5.56mm’s intended purposes. Fast and nasty.

Top Bottom