• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    What are the benefits of the heavier bullet weights for the 5.56/.223 beyond the 55 grain standard one? I assume anything lighter than 55 grains is not going to be effective in general?
    Hurley's Gold

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Would say it depends on the intended purpose. The lighter fast rounds are generally reserved for those who enjoy seeing a cute little prarie dog or jackrabbit explode in a shower of guts and hair. Not ideal for most applications. For deer humans and Coyotes think the 55 grain would be a minimum.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Oh Boy - Lots of benefits for heavier bullets if you are trying to shoot longer ranges. Better ballistic coefficients, less wind drift etc. What you really have to do is match your barrel twist rate to the types of shooting you want to do. Those light varmint bullets like slower twists 1:12, 1:14 etc. The heavier bullets need faster twists 1:9, 1:7 etc. to properly stabilize. On top of the twist rate, I've read that barrel length can make a difference too on stabilizing a heavier bullet.

For example, I shoot 69g SMK's out of my 26" barrel 1:9 twist, but I'm thinking if I went much heavier the bullet may not stabilize.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I am looking into getting an AR pistol that has a 9" barrel with 1:7 twist. It's not going to be used for hunting, just range use and self protection. Any suggestions on the best bullet weight for my intended uses?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I am looking into getting an AR pistol that has a 9" barrel with 1:7 twist. It's not going to be used for hunting, just range use and self protection. Any suggestions on the best bullet weight for my intended uses?

300BLK is what you’re looking for in that size package.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX

Yes I looked into that. The cost for that caliber is signifiacntly higher than .223. In general I found that for the average price of a single .300 I could buy about 4 .223 rounds. When prices come down closer to the average per round cost of .223 I may consider it but for the time being I will be sticking with .223.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Oh Boy - Lots of benefits for heavier bullets if you are trying to shoot longer ranges. Better ballistic coefficients, less wind drift etc. What you really have to do is match your barrel twist rate to the types of shooting you want to do. Those light varmint bullets like slower twists 1:12, 1:14 etc. The heavier bullets need faster twists 1:9, 1:7 etc. to properly stabilize. On top of the twist rate, I've read that barrel length can make a difference too on stabilizing a heavier bullet.

For example, I shoot 69g SMK's out of my 26" barrel 1:9 twist, but I'm thinking if I went much heavier the bullet may not stabilize.
    What he said
    Dont bother looking at heavier bullets if your barrel cant take advantage of then

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    What he said
    Dont bother looking at heavier bullets if your barrel cant take advantage of then

OK so for an AR pistol the standard 55 grain bullet is going to be best it seems. Maybe I can squeeze in a 60 or 65 grain with a 1:7 twist barrel perhaps.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    I shoot 62grain Solid Core for hogs knocks ‘em down. 16” 1:7 twist 5.56 chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    1:7 is made for the heavier bullets.
    Stay under 80 grains and you'll be fine.
    For a "pistol" just run the 55gr.
    No sense in burning higher cost ammo in a short barrel.

OK sounds good to me. Standard 55 grain .223 ammo is very affordable so that will work out well.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I been trying to find somebody to tell me why my old thutty thutty ain’t as good as a .300 blackout. It seems like some smart salesman trying to reinvent the wheel to put a dent in dumb yup Gold Visor Cards.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I been trying to find somebody to tell me why my old thutty thutty ain’t as good as a .300 blackout. It seems like some smart salesman trying to reinvent the wheel to put a dent in dumb yup Gold Visor Cards.
    No common .30 30 semi autos?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do you find a lot of spitzer subsonic 30-30 rounds? Or many autoloaders chambered in 30-30? Or many easily suppressed 30-30 rifles or pistols?

No? Maybe that's why.

The ballistics are similar, the applications are not.

Your constant condescending attitude is still appreciated though. So is your lack of knowledge.

Top Bottom