• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Anyone got any experience with these rounds, in particular with the lighter 30 - 40 grain bullet loads? The wife picked me up a Smith model 48 chambered in this round and the load information is a little sparse to say the least. I've got some working 22 hornet and 22 k-hornet loads I can play with, but was wondering if anyone had anything else that might be of use.

Thanks,
    malladus

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's a .22 Hornet case just with an odd-ball .224" RN or similar ogive bullet, cut back 0.050" and fire formed. That's about the limit of my expertise on it.

As far as the shooting, it should be similar to the .22 Jet, alot of flash and pop, but a TON easier to reload once you get the cases formed.

You could get a standard .22" diameter neck sizer and seater to load it I'd imagine. I'd work with Unique or something similar, might be even able to ninja a load off the net somewhere.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Pretty right on the head of the nail. Be plumbing some smith and wesson revolver forums and found some more info. Looks like mine is chamberd in the Harvey 224 Kay-chunk junior which is basically the .22 hornet with the 0.050" cut off the neck so it fits in the cyclinder with the lighter bullets seated. From what I have been finding out, the guy who came up with the 224 Kay-chuk stopped using the .22 k-hornet as the base catridge because it was hard to form the brass and folks the simplier cut down .22 hornet was easier for end users to make. I gaguged the cylinders and the shoulder placement is to far back to be based off the k-hornet.

Now I just need to dig up some loads to try and get out to the range and have some fun. From what everyone says its going to be a nice shooting gun, just very loud.

malladus

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Hit Cabela's yesterday and picked up some 36 gr varmit grenades from Barnes, dies, and trimmer so I can start shortening cases to get my loads going. Unfortunately a model 617 followed me home so the son and I spent the day at the range plinking rather then sitting at the work bench turning out test loads.

malladus

Top Bottom