• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McIrish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2022
    Denton, Tx
    Howdy -
    I do quite a bit of range shooting and I haven't hunted since high school (I'm now 60), but in excellent physical health and want to get some Elk meat; so a cow elk would be fine with me. Looking for a hunt with my son (37) in any nearby state that's somewhat affordable. I likely need a guide, any reccomendations would be appreciated. Using a Browning 30-06 X-Bolt, Swarovoski scope with an Omega surpressor.
    DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Little late to be looking for an elk hunt. A lot of states start selling non resident elk tags in December for the following year and are typically sold out in a few days.

A lot of the mountain states with elk have their seasons very early as well.

As to affordable, guided hunts, I have seen packages as low as $7500 for cow/cull bull hunts.

Generally goes up significantly from there.

Good luck.

McIrish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2022
    Denton, Tx
    Little late to be looking for an elk hunt. A lot of states start selling non resident elk tags in December for the following year and are typically sold out in a few days.

A lot of the mountain states with elk have their seasons very early as well.

As to affordable, guided hunts, I have seen packages as low as $7500 for cow/cull bull hunts.

Generally goes up significantly from there.

Good luck.
    I should have mentioned that, definitely looking for 2024 - I tried findiing something for 2023 in March and I was way too late. Thx -

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Drive further to save money.
    New Mexico and Southern Colorado are flooded with Texans during hunting season.
    Get further north and west.
    Or book a canned hunt in Texas and get one guaranteed.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    There are quite a few Texas outfits that have elk. They can be hunted year round in Texas and they will occasionally have cull cow hunts for about $1k. They get sold quick so just do a weekly search of the various outfits/ranches

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    There are quite a few Texas outfits that have elk. They can be hunted year round in Texas and they will occasionally have cull cow hunts for about $1k. They get sold quick so just do a weekly search of the various outfits/ranches
    Cheaper than a half of beef

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Cheaper than a half of beef
    Yep. Trick is getting on all of their email lists ( ugh) or checking the websites on a very regular basis. Usually in the spring after calves are born. Older cows that do not have calves are often discounted to get them out of the herd so they don’t have to feed them all year.

They do go very quick though

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom