• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've been working with some Berry's plated 185 grain HBRN, looking for a accurate load that just pushes major power factor (895ish FPS). These are long for a 185 and feed in my 45's beautifully, so I'm hoping to find a good load with them. WSF is dirty as sin when it's loaded light. I'll be working with Titegroup this weekend to see what it's going to do. So far I've gotten down to 4.4 grains and it's still clean and accurate, but it's still doing 1065 fps, very consistantly though. I'm going to be testing from 4.2 all the way down to 3.8 grains this weekend to try and find that magic 895.

Anyone have any loads for Barry's 185 grain that they've been playing with?
    Target Sports

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I've lost my targets for it but it must have been, I usually don't keep pages on a load if it's no good. The only other one for .45 I have listed is a softball load for my Defender that's 185gr Berrys, with 5.7gr of Unique that runs 675fps, great target load.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I have had the best and cleanest results from HP38/W231 and Titegroup, with my Nosler and Rainier 185 gr JHP bullets. Most of the other powders I tried were to dirty or provided unacceptable accuracy.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I talked to the Hodgdon folks about a year ago on a different subject and before I got off the phone, I asked what they thought was the best powder for .45. The rep answered that it was Titegroup. So next time I went to the gun store, I bought a pound and gave it a try. It burns very clean and you don't have to load very much per round, so it goes a long way. But I must say that I was not particularly happy with the results at the range. With such a small amount of powder, any amount that you are off will make a big difference in velocity. If you weigh each charge, that's not a problem. But when I meter it, I can tell that it's not as consistent as I can get with Bullseye or other powders.

I would like to point something out: Berry's bullets are plated, not jacketed, so you use the loads for cast bullets. You may find that some powders are not recommended for that.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I've shot a lot of the Berry's 200 gr. bullets and they shoot very well in my pistols. I load with Unique powder and use a load half way between the high end for lead bullets and the low end on jacketed bullet. So far it has worked fine for me. I use the Speer book for reference.

Top Bottom