Target Sports

Atf rule banning private sales requires FFL rumored for fall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    So this rule would affect individual to individual private sales but would it affect individual selling to an individual with an FFL transfer occurring (individual -> FFL -> individual)? I wouldnt think so but I am curious if someone has figured that out before I go exploring
    Capitol Armory ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So this rule would affect individual to individual private sales but would it affect individual selling to an individual with an FFL transfer occurring (individual -> FFL -> individual)? I wouldnt think so but I am curious if someone has figured that out before I go exploring

Yes. The rule is written such that any person who sells, trades, or otherwise transfers a firearm to another is engaged in the business of dealing in firearms and must hold the appropriate license to do so.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …It was a back door implementation of universal background checks.

At least they said the quiet part out loud.
    I think that’s a byproduct of the actual intent.

I think the actual intent was to disincentive purchasing by criminalizing private transactions and therefore reducing actual manufacturing and, over time, start reducing the total inventory out there due to that reduced manufacturing.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

I think the actual intent was to disincentive purchasing by criminalizing private transactions and therefore reducing actual manufacturing and, over time, start reducing the total inventory out there due to that reduced manufacturing.
    I agree. What better way to achieve that disincentive than by requiring almost everyone to perform a background without access to NICS?

ETA - This is why I used to argue in favor of requiring universal background checks IF AND ONLY IF there was anonymous public access to NICS.

Then the ATF could have done buy/bust stings to their hearts content and probably catch real bad guys instead of screwing over good people.

I guess that ship has sailed.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

This.

They will never remove the 2nd, or Come and Take it, but if they can find a way to make ownership unpalatable for existing and future enthusiasts? You betcha. It's a longer game, maybe even generational, but a possible one to achieve.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I agree. What better way to achieve that disincentive than by requiring almost everyone to perform a background without access to NICS?

By telling everyone in America that if you sell or trade a gun and don’t have an FFL, you’re a criminal until you can prove otherwise.

I *think* you see this in the practical questions people have around setting up the sale but using an FFL for the transfer. That’s logical, but not legal and would likely only make a small dent in demand.

But prosecute both private parties who trade 5 Glocks for 1 NightHawk and that chills the market to the bone.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We're entirely in agreement about the motivations behind this. We may see the processes slightly differently...but only slightly.

BTW, kudos for saying this in this way:

...prosecute both private parties who trade 5 Glocks for 1 NightHawk and that chills the market to the bone.
    That's a stark, dark, nonpareil summary of what's happening. And eye-opening for anyone who hasn't seen things in those terms yet.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Unlikely they thought this would stick though they'd be thrilled if it did. No, I think it's a tactic to create a little chaos then back off and present yet another compromise in hopes those engaged in the heat of battle will view the lesser infringement as a "win".

Top Bottom